Is it possible to spoil a 6 week old?

Since the day we came home from the hospital I have always been good about putting her down, trying make her sleep in her own bassientt yada yada, Well we went home to see our family last week and she was definatly the center of attention lol. Well now we are home and it seems as if I can't put her down. Forget sleeping on her own she needs to be in mommy and daddys bed. I don't mind now I love watch her little face as we walk around and she looks at everything but I'm just scared she'll be one of "those" baby's lol that can never be put down.

Jillybeans24

Asked by Jillybeans24 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are programmed to want to be held. As far as they know, that is the SAFEST place for them. Not being held, to them, is the equivalent of you being forced to stand on a ledge on a high-rise building. Damned straight you're gonna be scared stiff!

IKEA was probably too strange an atmosphere for your baby at that time, jillybean. It's OK. Holding her is just pulling her off the ledge. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• its impossible to spoil a 6 week old.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i do think so in a way. my kids get spoil when we got bak home to florida. it drives me nuts but makes them happy. my ds is 8 mts and sometimes he gets into those crying moods cuz i dont pick him up and am like look lil man you are 20 lbs if i keep picking u up am gonna break my bag he laughs and puts his hands up again so i pick him up and dance with him and then back down he goes,
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No. Baby is still a newborn. All she knows is to cry and not cry. She can't reason yet. That comes several months to a couple of years away. There's nothing wrong with her fussing for a bit if she's burped fed and cleaned. But don't let her cry at length. Maybe try some mobiles above her or a soft bell ankle toy for when she wiggles and kicks she hears the sound and alerts to that. Possibly she's not more fussy since you saw family but more that you were able to get a longer break from her care because others were in person in awe of baby. At your home can your partner give you a nightly break and share too night care?
    Anonymous

• Yes, if you buy her a car or throw her one of those super sweet 16 partiesshe will be spoiled. Holding her is a good idea.
    Anonymous

• piwife maybe you're talking about spoiling a several months old baby and op's baby is only six weeks old. There's a maturity difference even between those ages.

Op see if you can maybe get more help in evenings and night from your husband.
    Anonymous

• Nope. It's impossible to spoil a baby until they have learned how to manipulate objects and people to get what they want. This usually happens around 8-9 months of age.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 7:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• lol thanks guys. I was just getting concerned because she use to love her stroller then today we went to ikea and she freaked every time i tried to put her in it. I don't want people to think i'm some awful lady who doesn't like holding her daughter. I just don't want to be the mom who has to pee with her daughter on her lap lol
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No such thing as spoiling a baby this young, needs to be nurtured and cuddled, remember she was inside you for 9 months and this big world right now is scary. It would be a good idea, if you bundle her up like they did at the hospital, like a burrito almost, make it tight, it helps them feel secure, they remember being tight inside you, it is comforting and familiar.

Answer by older at 8:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You can't 'spoil' a baby but I personally feel like you can set a precedence. Learned behavior not just 'being a brat' at that age. Get a good sling they do wonders!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2009