Do you give rice cereal before or after your baby's bottle/feeding?

vtgrad00

Asked by vtgrad00 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started giving her baby rice cereal in her last bottle for the night before she goes to bed. We've been doing that since my daughter was 2 months old and she is now 9 months, and we still do it. If you give it to her in your bottle , you need to make sure you have nipples that are made for thicker liquids. I have Avent bottles so I just picked up a couple nipples for her nightly bottle.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• msfila .. doctors / LC's / nurses -- medical professionals -- do NOT recommend giving rice cereal or any other solids in a bottle unless directed to do so specifically because it IS a choking hazard..

But anyway.. I never gave rice cereal period. Everyone I have talked to has said it can be VERY constipating and there are more nutritionally sound foods out there. I gave avacado as a first food. BUT -- If you decide you really like the idea of baby cereal, I'd go with oatmeal or barley -- they aren't known to be as constipating and unless you have barley/oatmeal allergies in your family there is no reason to think that your baby would be allergic.

You always breastfeed or give a bottle of formula BEFORE you give solids, so the baby does not eat too much solids and then not nurse or bottle-feed as much as they should :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I gave it to her when we were eating dinner. Just like any other food.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i wouldn't give the baby rice cereal, give your baby some veggies like peas or avocado...it's much healthier for them and easier to digest
    Anonymous

• I always gave the baby the cereal first. I would mix it with their formula from the bottle. They would eat it and then drink the rest of the bottle.
    Anonymous

• Jamesandme- My daughter's doc is the one that suggested we give her baby rice cereal in her bottle. So some docs do recommend it, years ago they advised against it, but things have changed. I actually work at a hospital and they do give cereal to babies there, not newborns though. I do give her regular baby food too.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2009