does anones baby cry the second they see the bottle?? he only eats approx 16 oz a day he is 6 months old!!

my son is 6 months this week he refuses to take is bottle I'm worried about nutritional levels & dehydration any suggestions on this he loves his cereal & veggies but not the bottle!! the formula is mixed in his cereal & he does not cry then!! any info would help

chappymom

Asked by chappymom at 9:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a sippy cup or even a cup. At 6 months my daughter could drink out of a cup with me holding it. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• That is not enough formula. I'm a breastfeeder, but, I have seen the charts. He should be eating 28-35 oz per day.

Try cutting back on how much cereal/vegs you are giving.. how much are you giving anyway? A 6 month old should not be getting a ton of food.. I'd say 1 tbs of fruit/veg 3x per day and 1 tbs of cereal 2x per day.

Maybe it is the method you are giving the bottle in, like maybe he wants to hold it? Is it a fast flow bottle, maybe he feels like he is choking and he'd like a medium flow? Or maybe it's a slow flow, it irritates him, and you need to go to medium/fast? What sort of bottles are they, maybe he'd like a wide bottle better?

That is all my BF mind could think of.. maybe some of the FF momma's will have more advice specific to this :)
    Anonymous

• When a child isn't taking enough breastmilk / formula, you have to cut back on solids. I agree with trying a cup.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Give it to him in a sippy. Try a different formula if he seems to reject the formula more than the bottle. I had one child self-wean from the bottle to a cup at 8 months old.
    Anonymous