Do you believe this?

Kids under 12 lack the mental capacity (physical brain development) to lie with intentions of getting away with something.

One of our so called "know it all" moms said this today. I know by 12, if I was lying, it was definitely intentional.

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LMFAO! Oh, that made my day. Thank you for telling us this.

What bullshit. I was lying with intentions of getting away FAR before that. I'd like to see where she got that information.

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I think that's ridiculous.

Answer by presleyfan1 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Ha! Thats a laugh. I lied with purpose well before that age.

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I totally disagree. I was lying with purpose and intent way before the age of 12 and getting caught and having to suffer the consequences that were dealt.

Answer by coala at 9:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I know for a fact that I was lying before 12! lol! I remember lying that I wasn't going off the diving board at the local pool when really I was (and of course I ended up getting caught! lol!). I believe I was 9 at the time...

Answer by things_not_sane at 9:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Well, innocent as it is, my 3 year old lies with the intention of getting away with something. Today, for example, Nana asked her what Mommy said (could she have a cookie or not) and she told her Mommy said yes when she didn't even ask me! She knows I'm anal about giving her too much treats so she fibbed to get herself a cookie. So I call BS on whoever said that.

Answer by tnm786 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I think my son started that at like 2 and half. Is this woman dilusional?

Answer by lowencope at 10:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Yeah effin right!!! My son is EIGHT and he lies about lots of things. And yes he knows what he is doing. A three year old can tell you the difference between a lie and the truth. Children lie, mostly because for some reason they think they can get away with it, or that they will get in less trouble than if they actually told the truth. When they really just get in more trouble than they would have if they had been truthful in the first friggin place!
    Anyone that thinks children can't lie on purpose, is a damn fool.

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My 7 & 8 year olds tell lies sometimes and know EXACTLY what they are doing

• 12! Please I've known kids as young as 2 and 3 to lie!

Answer by teamquinn at 10:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2009