Do you know the symptoms of a low milk supply?

One of the things I've observed in a decade on breastfeeding discussion groups is that many moms are told exactly the WRONG things about their supply. Docs check production by pumping. They weigh the baby before and after only ONE feeding. They look for breast fullness.

And not ONE of those things means anything.

Baby's behavior also means nothing as far as SUPPLY. Could indicate something ELSE, but that's another post.

There's just ONE indicator of supply: Diapers. If you're changing one per day of life in the first week, then 6-8 daily thereafter, regardless of content, your supply is fine.

I want to stamp out some of the self-doubt I've seen far too often from moms who were doing great but didn't know it, and replace it with confidence.

I know some moms will take this wrong. But if this helps ONE MOM realize she's doing better than she's giving herself credit for, my mission is accomplished.

Asked by gdiamante at 9:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Excellent info. The majority of moms are doing the best they can, and do NOT have this info. I've heard moms told they have low supply less than 48 hours after giving birth. No, your baby is supposed to be eating less than ten milliliters of colustrum at a time at that age. Further, milk isn't supposed to come in until days 3-5 ish.

I heard all these moms saying they wanted to breastfeed. I assume if they have more they still want to. Now they have good info. They can use it, or find an excuse. But I would hope most moms would use it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I actually did know this only because when I was pregnant with my first child I was so determined to do everything 'right' that read every book and looked at every magazine and website available for as much information as I could get on babies and breastfeeding. My DH said I was obsessive but hey, my kids turned out okay so I guess that's okay. I agree not enough woman get this info. even from there own Pediatricians! I know both of my children lost weight in the hospital (4 days c-sec), perfectly normal for a EB baby right?I go to my ped for my 1 week check up and he wasn't up to birth weight so I had to go in daily for a weight and subject myself to countless speeches on how I 'needed' to give formula and how I was 'starving' my baby. They shut right up when I flat out told them no formula and he was beyond his birth weight in 8 days. My daughter was the same way. I dunno why some peds try to freak you out like that..
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2009