Repost break down. Prt 1 All religions PLEASE participate! What is your perception of these bible verses?

This is a perception study to see how people in all religions perceive a bible verse when reading it. You do not have to believe in the bible I just wish to know personal perception and if they differ from religion at the end I will post the actual definitions. Please give your religion before your quote perception and along with each verse please state whether or not you feel you follow the meaning whether because religion or personal morals. as well as what makes you follow it. Please NO BASHING OTHERS IN THIS POST.

John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Luke 6:31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

Will be continued in another post in a few days as requested. Thank you.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Atheist.

#1 sounds like slavery to me.

#2  is treat others like you would expect them to treat you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Hm. How do I classify myself? Lapsed Catholic exploring Episcopalianism?

John 8:36 - Christ is the source of freedom.

Luke 6:31 - Treat others as you want to be treated.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Non-denominational Christian:

John 8:36 - Jesus is the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Luke 6:31- Love your neighbor as you love yourself, meaning "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm an agnostic atheist.

"John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."

If Mr. Jesus makes you free, you'll be free.

"Luke 6:31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Golden Rule!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Well the first one is talking about Jesus which is understandable since thats what that part of the Bible is really all about. So basically, he will set you free(probably from whatever bonds hold you aka sin and such).
    The second verse is basically...the Golden Rule. If you wouldnt want it done to you then dont do it to someone else.

Im eclectic Wiccan.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh, I didn't pay attention to all of your questions....

Clearly I believe the first verse because I am a Christian and believe in Jesus as my Savior. As for the verse from Luke, I believed in this before I became a Christian so my reasons for adhering to it are two-fold. My spiritual values have helped me to better understand the second verse and to understand that I should always respond how I want to be treated regardless of how I'm being treated myself. Meaning that I can't use the logic of "Well, they are acting like a jerk to me, so they must want me to be a jerk to them!" lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Shit, sorry. I didn't see the other questions either.

I obviously don't follow the first one since I'm not a Christian. I try my best to follow the golden rule, although I slip up an awful lot. But hey! I'm human, we all mess up from time to time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I am an Atheist by the Christian sense of the word but I follow the teachings of Buddhism.

John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.- If you are a Christian and a good follower of Christ you will be free. You do not need Jesus in your life or anyone else to be free. How free you are is government based not religious. You can tell the police that you believe Jesus makes you free all you want but they will still slap the cuffs on you if you break the law. My brother tried this...they said "That's cute kid...get in the car."

Luke 6:31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.- The Golden Rule that every religion under the sun has. Of course I follow the Golden Rule :-)

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• im a non-church going Christian.

John 8:36 is talking about sin & how Jesus can free you from sin.

Luke 6:31 is talking about treating others the way you want to be treated, even if they have wronged you.

you cant really follow the first verse, you either believe it or not, which i do believe it. the second verse i try my hardest to follow, not b/c the Bible says to do it, but b/c it makes life a lot easier.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You've written that at the end you will provide the 'actual definitions.' Will God be e-mailing those personally to you? Because otherwise your interpretation, or the interpretation of the denomination that you follow, is just as subjective as the perceptions you have asked all the ladies here to provide!

That being said, the first verse to me refers to Christ as the source of freedom.

The second verse is essentially the Golden Rule of 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' Which I do follow, because it is compassionate and good common sense.

And I practice Buddhism, though I come from a nominally Christian family.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009