rash from formula

I have a week old lil boy. When he got released from the hospital he had a very bad diaper rash on his bottem. What Im wanting to know is why does he have such a bad rash. Is it from the formula? He first tried Enfamil but threw most of it up. Then the started giving him Similac, he was able to keep it down but he started to get the loose bowls. While he was in the NICU his rash got worse. Everytime he eats he gets gas and with every lil fart he has poop come out aslo. So my question is could it be the formula, and if sso what formula should I give him instead. PLEASE HELP ME..

vivi27

Asked by vivi27 at 4:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How or when did the diaper rash start? How does it look like? Red, skin sloughed off or tiny little pimples? It could be a rash from not changing the diaper right away once it is soiled or it could be the formula. What has the pediatrician adviced you in the hospital? Change formulas if nothing's changed? Loose bowels are normal - since it's not solid food. Baby poop from formula is normally loose. A 'shart' (pop and fart) may not be something to worry about at this time. How long has your baby been on Enfamil before you switched to Similac?

Sunmarycab1

Answer by Sunmarycab1 at 4:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2008

• Anyway... the best thing to do at this point is to take care of the baby rash with some baby cream like BALMEX the purple one worked best for my kids. Make sure your baby is feeding well too - this is the first thing! Then... go to the pedy in the morning and ask him/her questions. Make em look at your baby's toosh. They may want to make you try this new hypoallergenic formula. It's hard to say.

I'm curious - is he a premie?
    Sunmarycab1

• breastmilk is the perfect infant formula. it will never give you problems. at 1 week post partum, you are still very capable of breastfeeding. your son's reactions aren't normal & he clearly isn't taking that artificial chemically altered stuff well. do him a big favor & nurse him. contact a lactation consultant for help. breastmilk is even a great remedy for diaper rash. cloth diapers w/out all those harsh chemicals may also do a great deal of good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2008

• It could be very well that formula and the milk protein whether cows milk or soy milk would do the same thing. There are severe allergies in response to both cows milk and soy milk proteins, its not the lactose that causes this type of reaction. You can try a change of formula, but honestly in the US there are no formulas made with human or goats milk. I would honestly try to breastfeed since its not too late and see if it makes a difference. I mean if it doesn't help then you haven't lost anything.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2008

• hmmm if you think it's the formula ask his pedi about Similac Alimentum....he could also be lactose intolerant or also have acid reflux...my premature baby has acid reflux...
    he would spit up ALL his formulas no matter what and had loose stools....so we put him on Axid x2 a day (Rx approved by his pedi) and he's on Similac Sensitive a lactose free formula and seriously he's a new baby!!!
    OHH and if you find out your baby has acid reflux DON"t give him a Soy formula it makes it WORSE....BUT OF COURSE talk to his pedi about all of this
    GOOD LUCK
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 9:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2008

• i breastfeed my little man, and he is a very gassy little dude. He's been gassy since birth, luckily he can get it out, without crying fits. As for the diaper rash, you might want to try looking at earthmamaangelbaby.com they have the best bottom balm. Our son had a small rash, and i remembered we got a huge gift basket and there was the bottom balm, its 100% natural, and within a day it was going away. I dont think its the formula, lots of babies eat formula and no rash, maybe change your baby even more than you are, another thing to try is when you change him, use a hair drying on low and about an arm stretch away wave it in front of his bottom to get his bottom really dry. My son also had relux, and for the first 7 weeks, he slept in his car seat.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 3:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• as for the poop coming out with the fart, that is normal, at least that happens to my son, they dont have the muscle control to "hold it" so when they fart or sneeze, so a little poop comes out. Take a deep breath, and also check your bottles to make sure they are the slowest flow nipple, if you have a nipple that has more than one hole switch it out... and maybe burp your baby more between his feeding.. usually when they are that small, i burped every 5 minutes with him, when he was that small, usualy 5 minutes is the same as an ounce on a bottle. That advice was for the throwing up. They only allow 1000 characters in each msg... so it was a two parter
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2008