How can I help my daughter to learn to sit and poop?

My 2 yr old is currently in the process of being potty trained. For as long as she was able to stand she has pooped only when she was standing. Today she told me she had to go poo so we went to the bathroom to attempt it. Well as soon as she sat down she tried and tried to go and failed everytime. She kept wanting to stand and I would tell her she had to sit, we tried going back and forth between her little potty and the actual toliet. After a few minutes we gave up and she told me she didn't have to go anymore, which I knew she did. I then diapered her and within a few minutes of standing she was able to go potty. How can I help her to go and sit down at the same time? Why would she be having this issue to begin with? She doesn't have any issues when going pee, she will sit down and go. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give her time, be patient it will come. Continue to encourage her and let her know she is doing good.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I can relate! This is my son exactly! We are still dealing with this problem right now, unfortunately, but I have found some things that help. Someone told us he needs to have his feet flat on the ground and knees bent for pushing. Whenever he would sit on the toilet seat or his potty seat that fit on our toilet, he would be too high...and he never did care for his little potty. So, I lifted the lid to where it was bare toilet. He sits on that little ledge (I don't know how, but he seems to prefer this). That way his feet sit flat on his step stool, knees bent and he can push.

....now it's just getting him to sit there long enough....lol
    Carri2362

Answer by Carri2362 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Sounds gross, but next time you have to poop, take her in the bathroom with you and let her watch - show her how you sit and push and the poop falls in the potty. And when she has to go, sit on the big pot yourself and pretend you're pooping with her. Will she still poop herself if she's wearing a panty? Try that.
    Anonymous

• Carri2362 is right. She needs the leverage to push the poop out. Get a step stool that she can put her feel flat on. It's not that she isn't pushing, she just has nothing to push against. And it will get better as her abs and other muscles continue to strengthen. It's just using the same muscles in a different way than she's used to. Give her time and plenty of grace. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• A friend of mine used to place her daughters feet on the seat so she could like squat to poo in the toilet. She was 2 then. She wouldn't ever go sitting on it normal.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 2:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2009