not excited.

Is anyone else just not excited about the holidays? The thought of them are just depressing, and just really stressful to me. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Holidays

• Oh I so feel you on this one. I dread the holidays this year, I can't afford it I feel like the worry of providing my kid a good Christmas is going to give me an ulcer. I can't wait for them to be done and over with. Not to mention having to put up with all the normal family drama and BS that goes along with the holidays. Curse the invention of them ha ha
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Why? The holidays can be depressing for many. You need to find out why. Did you know that during the holidays suicide numbers go up? I often wonder why. Relax. Enjoy family. Don't let society make you feel like you have to spend a bunch of money. Remember the real reason behind the Holidays and be thankful for what you have. And if you don't have much just know that there are others that are worse off than you. I really hope you find a way to enjoy the rest of the year.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Perhaps its time to start your own traditions for holidays. I never liked that whole stressful thing either. We ONLY do stockings. There aren't any price limits or expectations. They can be expensive gifts or goofy things. We have a very small tree. That's pretty much it. There's just too much stress in spending, putting yourself in debt with credit cards, expectations, disappointments.....and for what? If it's supposed to be religious....then why all the commercialism.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I definitely understand. It's more stressful than enjoyable trying to make everyone happy :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• thanks ladies. glad go know i am not the only one. Its yet another holiday that we won't be able to see family. and the worst part is its my daughters first christmas and she hasn't even met anyone but my mom. On top of that we are strapped for cash and I don't feel like we can give our kids as much as we would want :(
    Anonymous

• The holidays use to totally stress me out. Now, we do them the way we want to, not the way everyone else thinks they should be. I was doing in-home daycare for quite a while and was unable to put up our tree due to numerous infants crawling and 2 year olds being curious -till Dec 23 evening. I thought about it and daycare kids and mine decided to "paint" our christmas tree. We got paper and painted a tree on it and make "presents" to put under it and then I taped it on our patio door. The kids still to this day want to make our tree like that and they are in their late teens. What I am saying is do your own thing to make it about what you like, want, need. Not about what society, friends, relatives think is the right thing to do to make it a holiday. I don't decorate much and only buy children and husband presents now. I think people buying presents for people just to get presents in return is stupid and wasted $.
    Anonymous

• I am a huge fan of Samhain (Halloween), but after that, I would much rather hibernate! I'm not a winter girl! And I don't enjoy the holidays either. It's not that they stress me as much as I just don't like them! I grew up without them because of religious reasons. And the only person in my family that ever did anything for them was my Pap. He was in love with Christmas. Since he passed it's hard to get in to the spirit. And it's really hard for me because unlike everyone I know that grew up with wonderful holiday memories - I have none. For me it's a time of cold long days and nights waiting for spring instead of the joy of the season that everyone else gets...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from. I am stressed out and depressed, but I suffer from manic depression and always have, so I have learn to manage it. I'm exited. I get to see my whole family, my cuz is coming out from Texas I was told, and it is just a great time of year. A time when miracles happen. Maybe I just have kept my childlike stand point on this. So some advise that may help you, remember when you were a child and how great you felt. Good luck I hope this holidays go well for you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:24 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I love the winter and celebrate all the holidays. Hubby is Jewish, I am Pagan and family is Christian. So we have a whole month of celebrations that are always fun. For us it's more about getting together and sharing meals and going out looking at lights ect than about presents. I sure hope it snows in Dec. But I also know that holidays are stressful for a lot of people. Maybe just focus what is important to you and your family and don't try to please others.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I am not excited either. Certain relatives make every holiday a nightmarish experience. There is fighting, first between me and these people for treating me and my son like crap then between me and DH for him letting it go on. Then there is the same talk every year about how I have parents and a sister too so we can't be monopolized at one family member's house. We will do this for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and probably birthdays next year if the previous years are any clue.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009