How do you get a pregnancy blood test?

Do you just go to your regular family Dr and ask for one? Obviously I will be seeing an OB soon, but it usually takes a little longer to get in to see one of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• At my local hospital you can go straight to the lab and pay $10 to get a blood test done. Call your hospital ask for the lab and then ask them if they do blood tests to check pregnancy. Also, after you get the test you can call two hrs later they have results.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Thank you!
    Anonymous

• :) Hope it's the news you want to hear!
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• my doc wont do one unless there is a reason to...like checking your HCG level or progesterone level. THey dont do it just to see if you are actually preg. They always do a pee test first.
    Anonymous

• Will they do the beta hCG test if I ask them to or do they need a reason?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• at my OB you need a reason. they figure a pee test is enough to say if you are actually preg. or not. The only reason they gave me one is because I started spotting & they wanted to moniter my levels. (i had a misarriage btw) If I get pregnant again though he said to call immediatly & they would have me in for a bloodtest. my last preg. though (3 yrs ago) that was sucessful, no I never had bloodtest because they saw no need for one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry for your loss. I've had one m/c (early) and I know how hard it can be. It was a while ago and I got pregnant again right away which went well, so I guess they won't give me one. Oh well.
    I've never asked for a blood test before (4 children) I just went by the HPT. I recently got off of my BC and haven't had a period yet. Last time that happened I had a m/c. I guess I'm just being paranoid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Have you taken a pee test? If you are unsure of your dates, the best bet is to wait 14 days from the last time you had sex (if you dont get your period)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oops, I forgot to add that I already know I am pregnant. I have taken two tests. I got two very dark lines. I just haven't a clue when I got pregnant. I haven't had a period in over 4 years (birth control). What is bugging me the most is not knowing how many weeks I am. I'm making an appt tomorrow morning with my OB. Hopefully she will get me in soon, although I doubt it. I charted my cervical mucus and have several times that might have ovulated in the last two months. Obviously I'm not that far along because I tested often and even 12 days ago I had a negative result.
    I'm mainly just frustrated. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait for the doctor appt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2009