i really need help and advice!

my 21 month old son is into everything, has attitude,CRIES ALOT!!! I LOVE MY SON AND HE IS MY WORLD BUT THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN REALLY HARD! HE IS VERY VERBAL AND VERY SMART. I ALSO HAVE A 4 YR OLD SON WHO HAS NEVER REALLY BEEN IN TROUBLE SO THIS IS NEW TO ME! MY HUSBAND TOOK ME ON A 2 DAY GETAWAY SO I COULD GET A BREAK BUT I DONT WANT ONE I LOVE MY KIDS AND WANT TO BE WITH THEM AS MUCH AS I CAN! TODAY WAS A BAD DAY AND I AM JUST CRYING WONDERING WHAT I CAN DO! I HAVE HAD TO CHILD PROOF EVERYTHING AND I NEED TO FIGURE OUT SOME MORE WAYS TO DO SOME MORE BECAUSE HE GETS IN THE DISHWASHER THE CHILD PROOF THING FOR THAT DIDNT WORK....JUST CRAZY THINGS PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a deep breathe Mama. You will get through it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I wish I could help but I didn't have to go through this phase with my son. My only advice might be to be consistent with him. You can't let him do it one day and then scold him the next. Eventually he'll get bored with it, but until then hang in there and as much as we love our kids, we need breaks too so don't feel bad about taking some "me time" and just relaxing away from them.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 11:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• This is going to sound really silly- but Super Nanny is right about the naughty chair thing! 1 minute per year of age. Keep putting them back in if they get up- it can take hours depending how strong-willed child is... but keep it up. My son can be a little tyrant at times- but the naughty chair seems to take an edge off it.
    Anonymous

• Im with #3 my son is just like yours but his time out chair really works.. Nothing else does either... Ive had other say smack there butt they'll stop but whippins dont works.. Fussin he thinks is funny... only time out works... but i make mine stay until he stops screaming and crying cause 1 or 2 in just doesnt do it for him... and i always ask him" are you gonna be a good boy now" and then it he says yes i let him up... hope this helps
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 7:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Everybody is going through this or has gone through this at some point in time with their little one. The only difference is the duration. YOU NEED TO TAKE TIME BY YOURSELF A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK EVEN IF IT'S JUST FOR A HALF AN HOUR. I know that you probably miss them when you are not with them but you need to do this for your sanity so you're more calm and happy. After dinner, take a bath, go to the store by yourself and just browse. Go for a walk around the block. Go to a bakery and get a treat and sit there and eat it. What ever it is make sure it's before they go to bed, by yourself, and at least a half hour. PART TWO: Take a nap if you get a chance. If you can't take a quick nap during the day because you little ones don't nap then when they go to bed at night your work day is over. Take a bath to relax your muscles and mind, this should help with better sleep at night. Try to go to bed a 1/2 hour earlier than usual.
    Anonymous

• I have a 20 month old and when he starts to get like that (and he does) i take him to his room and sit and play with just him for a little bit. I think that it's an attention thing, just try to get to him BEFORE he goes on his rampage, then it looks like you are rewarding his bad behavior. The naughty chair does work.
    momtoktj

Answer by momtoktj at 12:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2009