Bedtime nightmare! Any tips????

My son just turned 2 and bedtime has been getting worse and worse lately. We've tried alot and nothing has worked! He makes his requests, tells us he's hungry...we've stopped giving in to that b/c giving in never worked, he'd still get out of bed every 5 min. He's in a toddler bed (has been for over a year). That has never really been a problem before now though. he wants up, we've cuddled him but he just squirms around not going to sleep. We will stay in his room and keep him company, but he just puts on a show. We leave and leave his door open, he just comes out every 5 minutes. We pick him up and put him back in bed right away and warn him the first 2 times saying "no, no, night night time, stay in bed, go to sleep"...after that we say nothing, just put him in bed. We've even tried shutting the door. He just cries at the door. It's getting bad! He's to the point he stays up 2 (sometimes 3) hrs past his bedtime!!

Carri2362

Asked by Carri2362 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you've got the right idea with the putting him right back to bed thing. Make sure you are doing that from the very beginning of bedtime, so there's no question (for him) that he won't be getting anything out of getting up. Offer any water/food/etc before you announce it's bedtime, so he can't legitimately use that to prolong things. Other than keeping that up until he finally stops testing you (I really believe if you're not giving him any incentive to get up, he'll eventually quit!), I'd recommend maybe a little more exercise to wear him out before bedtime. I have started taking my son for a walk every day - I bring the stroller along but let him walk until he gets tired, and let me tell you, this kid has stamina...he will walk nearly a mile!! He always seems to go to sleep easier after one of those walks. ;-) Good luck!
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 12:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i have been dealing with same problam with my two year old son. i went to my local walmart and found this really neat night light. it looks like a little person. it is called tykelight jr. it is something that he can hold on too and does not get hot. he also has a wall light aquriam above his bed that puts off the right amount of lite to look a t a book. an hour before bed the tv goes off we do soft activities like coloring or playdo. then when it is time for bed he gets a story and when i go to leave the room i give him the book and shut the door. he no longer gets up and runs out or crys. he lays in his bed with his book and light untill he falls asleep. you might want to find something that will want to make him go to bed . good luck
    tabicat83

Answer by tabicat83 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2009