12 year old son- brand new attitude.

My son is a great kid, he is a straight A student. He just started middle school this year and has developed an attitude like he is just really cool, bored with his family and detatched. Is this normal, or not?
I have a really hard time with this. He just sits on the computer as much as he possibly can, I allow 1/2 hour a day but now I have to really watch him or he'll stay on forever. He's starting to get a little disobedient. Help!!

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Don't you remember being a pre-teen? That young, rebellious, my family isn't cool anymore attitude? I was a straight A student, and went through that. It's actually a good sign! It means he's developing meaningful friendships outside the family, and is trying to build relationships with these people! He'll also probably become secretive and possessive over personal space. It's puberty kicking in. Relax. Talk to him. Try to keep the lines of communication open. Help foster his independence, but set fine rules and limits, and ground him if he doesn't listen- enforce it. Everything will be fine... he's just hitting adolescence.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Only half an hour? Maybe you can give him the option of earning computer time? I think 1 hour or two hour is fair.. especially if he prefers it over television. Maybe he can earn it by doing certain chores around the house and such. It'd teach him responsbilities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• LMBO - welcome to the club. Hormones start and with that the attitude. He needs an alpha male.

Yah it happens..... but stick to your guns and get him out side, into sports, etc. The computer is NOT a pastime.

I too am going through the EXACT same thing... 12 yr old boy... first yr of middle school.... straight As.... getting mouthy and trying to exert his independance. He is getting some freedomes IF I get a good attitude. Hubby had to put him in his place a couple times.... but all is good. He just recently really really got into the guitar and that is a GREAT outlet for him. See if you can find an outlet that is NOT the computer. Also if I can get him in the car for a long ride he starts to open up... but DO NOT BADGER WITH QUESTIONS.... ask a simple leading question and then wait for an answer.... dont talk... he will soon fill the quiet with his thoughts... try not to ask follow up questions... luck!!!
    Anonymous

• Welcome to puberty. Learn patience and how to IGNORE the attitude. Learn how to talk with him (not at him). Give him the room to make his own decisions, make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Keep communication open, don't freak out at questions..answer honestly and openly. He is going through a lot right now and will be for the next 5 years ish. A sense of humor works wonders.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thank you ladies, you are wonderful. This actually helps a lot. :)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 3:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2009