aunt is dying from "swine flu"

First off, like last week i answered a question saying I/my kids wasnt going to get the H1N1 shot, because I didnt think they knew enough about it, and since we basically stay at home all the time, I just thought it wasnt needed -- well the other day my aunt was taken by squad to the ER -- they diagnosed her with swine flu -- even though from my understanding, they are jsut now diagnosing people with it, when theyhave flu like symptoms, plus something else ( like pnemonia or bronchitis or soemthing) But she was at the DRs like 2 weeks before and she was fine, she is in her 50s, but I dont think that is really something that should add to it ? ....well now she is on life support, and they cant do anything else for her, she had to be transfered to another hospital...so the scare got to me, and yesterday we got the shots..

i guess I jsut wanted to post this because, ( continued in 1st post)

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Health

• Alot of posts have asked if anyone actually knew of someone who had to go to the hospital from it....and if you get the h1n1 shot, do you still have to get the regular flu shot...how long do the flu shots last, my daughter got one in like january, is it still good ( my son got one the other day with his 1 year vaccines) ...and how long do the shots take to become effective ?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I just went last week and got my daughter it and she just turned 2 and I'm waiting till my youngest is 6mths, which he's about to be 4mths in a few days cause he has to be 6mths to get it. I wanna get it but there is always long lines everywhere. She also got the regular flu shot cause it protects against the seasonal flu and the H1N1 doesnt. She got both at the same time. I am gonna get an appt this week, my son might have to wait cause he'll be 7 this yr and not sure where to go, I'm in columbus ohio. i have the website of H1N1 and it has a calendar of when they will be having the shots at this place and time and shit but the line gets soo long they close it down early and only let however many people get it. My oldest son got a flu shot in Jan of 09 and just got another one 1mth ago. so id ask ur doctor and get one. I believe it was jan 09 and not 08. I'm gonna get one this week, hopefully tomorrow.
    knlhall

Answer by knlhall at 11:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• wow i am like an hour away from columbus....when we got the shots we had to go to the health dept. because it was the only place in town that has them, and we were the only ones there -- except when we came out there was a guy going in, but that is it....you should come down here lol...

I just want to know where to get the reguar flu shots, because they dont have them around here at any of the Dr offices or anything.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• The shots take 8-10 days to kick in. The H1N1 didn't need a lot of testing because it is made JUST like the regular flu shot is, they just use the swine flu strain. Also the flu shot is different each year because they want to see what the prominen strain is for that year. And yes you DO need both. The H1N1 is a TOTALLY different strain than the regular flu shot, and will not protect you against seasonal flu.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• From what we have been told from the Dr's the H1N1 vaccine will cut the chances about in half of getting it. You can still get it. I know someone who did die from it, but that was the Dr office she went to fault. They ignored it basically.
    The seasonal flu people die from everyday (the pneumonia that you can get due to it.) but people are not freaking out over the thousands that die from that. Just this cause its 'new'. I still wont get the shot..if my own Dr refused to vaccinate HER kids due to the risks and it basically being barely tested (her words), then I sure as hell wont. Some medications are given as Rx's for years before being recalled for bad side effects or death, so why would I take my chances with something that has been around,...oh a few months?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009