Is there a civil war in the GOP?

As George Will says, and if so, which side will win.

Moderate or Conservative?

and is that a social conservative or fiscal conservative?

Is there room in the GOP for Moderates and if not, where will they go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Libertarian. Conservative party,
    Constitutional party.

The GOP is no different then the democratic party right now.

They got a big ole hard on thinking that they were going to get back into power on the cost tails of the tea parties, only to find out a lot of us are just as pissed at them.

Sorry If the old man boner reference gave you the hee bee geebies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I do think think the GOP is at least less fiscally conservative. I think some have realized the error of their ways. Bu~ You could ask the same questions of Democrats. Some differing of opinions/heated moments have truly emerged among the Dems over health care between Blue Dogs and the Liberals... It's just politics!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Sorry If the old man boner reference gave you the hee bee geebies.

LOL...I thought you were doing a 'pun' on John Boehner(min leader)!!!LOL... But overall~ I agree with you. It's not a civil war, but some lost their way... It's just politics.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I would say there is more of a civil war in the dem party. Libs v Dems.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

Bob Dole sealed the deal with that one with his Viagra / Britney Spears commercial!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

The dems always fight with each other, it's part of who we are! lol  I do believe right now the republican party is turning on itself. From what I see in tv, from the elected officials, the commentators and the ones I know in real life.

The Moderates feel like their party is being taken on the wrong direction by extreme (social) conservatives and the conservatives feel like anyone that doesn;t think the same as them is a RINO......Which riles up the fiscal conservatives that are not social conservatives...

It won;t be a problem, IMO, if they can get it together in the next 6 months and get together for the 2010 elections

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• see I'm a fiscal conservative but have never voted for a republican because they have a tendancy to focus SO much on the social conservative aspect of their party and I am very socially liberal. John McCain I really liked and would have voted for him until he took on Sarah Palin. But anyways I hope the moderates win coz I hate voting for Dems but the Reps leave me no choice! Look at Dede Scouzzafaza in upstate NY. I really wish I was in her region coz she pretty much embodies everything I think but the conservatives won't have anything to do with her....
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

You just summed up abput 75% of the republicans I know, but the opposite seems to be true on CM. I know some that voted dem in the last election and felt they had no choice...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The extremes poles of both parties turn off MOST moderate ppl, and leave others running for 3rd party affiliation. 

Most of the Republicans that I know are fiscal conservatives, but social moderates. Ultra rt.  Republicans and extreme lft  Dems have to realize that they are the EXCEPTIONS in this country.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The Moderates feel like their party is being taken on the wrong direction by extreme (social) conservatives

Link Please.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2009