What do you know about shipping?

I thought I would start a little crafting business and evolving it into teaching a children's art class. However, when I begin a crafting business I will be selling my things online as well as around town. My question is, what do I do about shipping? When I post the price of the item I also have to post the shipping cost, right? I'm soooo confused about the whole shipping situation. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Homemommy0503

Asked by Homemommy0503 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• The post office has all the supplies you will need for shipping, and you can get some for free, things I sell on ebay I always add 1.50 per item handling charge, with this you can purchase insurance on package, or ask for someone to sign on delivery to eliminate any confusion or them coming back to you saying it wasn't received.It usually only cost extra .50 cents or so for either up to 500.00 package. You can charge shipping by buyers location or just a flat fee for processing. I had heard USPS will even come to pick your packages up for you eliminating the need for you to take it to the post office. You can make yourself a chart by taking what you are making ot sell to the post office having a package weighed with one or so items in it and that will give you a good idea what it would cost per pc to ship. Good luck on your crafts hope you do well! Need any help PM me I will assist in any way I can.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 12:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• would stat by looking into flat rate boxes. Easy to use easy to price.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Since you will be doing this online, you can get a shipping calculator posted on your website. Put your materials together and find out how much it weighs, post it online, and let the customers input their zip code and it will tell them how much shipping will be. However, if the package is going to be a bit heavy, then I would do as the pp said and use flat rate boxes, but only if shipping is going to be $9 or up. Or if you don't want to have a shipping calculator, then go to the post office, ask them to weigh the package, and find out how much it would cost to ship it to someone in the same town as you, someone in the middle of the U.S., the west coast, and the east coast. Average the shipping cost together and do a set price. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Another advantage to the flat rate boxes is that you can give your customers the option to purchase more items in your online store with the one flat rate by placing multiple items into that flat rate box. I find that it helps when I am selling on Ebay to mention this and I will frequently get customers that will take advantage of the flat rate box and purchase more items at the same time than they might have otherwise. I also always leave open the option of standard shipping in case they are on a tighter budget. This way they have their options and can decide what is best for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• flat fee boxes are expensive what is the best to do is go to your local usps and get an idea of package size and charge 2 dollars up a size start from a large envelope that is 4 to ship but most things are only between 4-14 to ship priority a regular size box that probably is a 1ft x 6 in cube probabl costs about 6 to ship... hope this helps if all else fails just get a really good scale and a few starter boxes to get an idea of sizes and usps has a program that helps you purchase shipping labels..and from me to you use etsy instead of ebay. its much cheaper and for homemade items..ebay is so expensive
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2009