I think I have outgrown my husband and it is starting to bother me.

We have been married nearly 6 years now. We dated almost two years. I was 25 and he was 27 when we got married. We got along great and had a lot of fun together. I started to notice the change when I was pregnant with our first. I really got into educating myself on pregnancy, breastfeeding, newborns, parenting, etc. He won't read so much as a paragraph about any of this. It was frustrating but I excused it because he's a man. Don't get me wrong, he is a great father. Reads to them every night, plays with them all the time. He just doesn't care to learn anything about their development. Which isn't the end of the world as long as he is loving and caring.
I have starting paying attention to politics, the news, and reading a lot of books. I have started figuring out finances, what to save, where to invest. He likes to play Xbox and watch TMZ. I am feeling like I can't hold an intelligent conversation with him. Continued

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I am worried about the new bill getting pushed through congress and he could care less, all he wants to talk about is who Paris Hilton is dating now. Even a lot of the basic things we learned in high school and college he has forgotten since he hasn't cared to continue learning anything. I am frustrated because I want to be able to talk to him about what's going on in world and he couldn't care less. We still get along great and have fun together. It is hard for me to understand why he wouldn't want to educate himself on things that affect him, like his own kids.
    Anonymous

• A good book to read... it may save your marriage..... Fasinating Womanhood......
    Anonymous

• a lot of guys are like this, maybe you might rub off on him and he'll want to start...and then again he may not, but what did you guys talk about when you were first together? If he doesn't have interests in the topics you're interested in maybe talk about those things with your friends instead..or yhou can always ask him to try to show more interest in what you like.
    Anonymous

• Try building him up.... tell him compliments often like how great he is with the kids... and I'm sure there has got to be some other good traits about him..... maybe he's funny.... compliment him about it... think about what made you first attracted to him and recall those things to him.... "Hey honey, remen=mber when you.... wow that was awesome of you!" trust me encourage him in ways that don't make him feel infereior or you controlling.... If he works... (even if you handle the finanicies and work also) show and express your appreciation for what a great provider he has been to you and the children. When you build someone up (even when you are building them up and praising them beyond what they are presently as a person or beyond their accomplishments) they will live up to what you define them as. Hound on him for being lazy and careless and uncompassionate.... and he will be and stay just that.
    Anonymous

• I know that it can be frustrating because i'm going through the same thing. But this is how I feel. As long as my hubby loves me, respects me, helps to take care of us, not abuse me in any way and not cheat on me, I can get passed his not wanting to know about politics or watch the news. Couples compliment each other, we pick up where the other leaves off. You can learn off of eachother. It sounds like he's a great dad and a good husband, be happy, in this day its hard to find someone that will treat you with respect. If it really bothers you maybe you can talk to him. I've tried with mine, but he's not interested. He loves us and takes care of us and for me thats all that matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2009