What is "bump"

Is it when you wanna spread the word? Or what?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When posting, new posts, or those with a new response, generally gets put at the top (I say generally, because I'm not just talking about Cafemom, but about internet message boards in general).

Since the newer stuff (or the stuff at the top) tends to get looked at more than the older stuff, if someone wants to help keep it on top, whether they're the orig. poster or someone who thinks what's in the post is important or wants to share it, spread the word, whatever, but they don't have anything else to add to it, they can post "bump". To sort of "bump it" back up to the top of the list.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If it's in a post then it just means they want to "bump" the post to the top of the pile... so that people will see it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm not positive but I think it's when someone wants to keep there place. If you bump it you can go back to it under the My Answers tab. That's what I've assumed it means anyways.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• How do you actually bump it then?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• All you do is go in and type bump

Actually, you could go in and type anything - it's not the word itself that does it, but the fact that there was something, anything, added to it that does it - it just registers a new post, and that's all it needs to "bump" it back up, so people will type the word "bump" to do it, and / or show that they wanted to bump it up because they agree or think it's important or whatever.

So you don't really have to do anything special or technical to do it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It is what the ladies before me said. The funny thing is that "bump" only bumps posts in groups, not in Answers, but people put "bump" in Answers anyway.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2009