if you cant afford formula(Have to get WIC/FS) then you should be breastfeeding

What do you think of this statement? I overheard some ladies talking in walmart today. I already BF so i sort of brushed it off but i wasnt too sure what to make of the statement. do you agree?

loves_her_baby

Asked by loves_her_baby at 11:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not for anyone to dictate for anyone else. Period.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I agree if you CAN breastfeed then you should be whether you can afford formula or not.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• i think its dumb as hell....i TRIED to breastfeed, but my son projectile vomited everything he ate....and yes, i changed my diet to some extent, but my dr told me that i would probably have to cut out ALL dairy (even butter)....that's just not realistic for me...call me selfish if you want...so my baby is on wic because i cant afford $200 a month in formula and anyone that doesnt like it is free to buy me a can themselves!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I think it is a completely ignorant statement. When my son was born, I tried to breast feed him and it was the most awful experience I have had as a parent. In those days (DS is 14) they kicked you out after 24 hours for a vaginal birth regardless of how your labor went. My son had an apgar score of 1 at birth due to distress. Well we went home and I couldn't get him to latch on correctly. The most awful way to spend a night is with a newborn crying because you can't feed them. I felt so helpless and awful. I didn't know the La Leche League answered phones all the time and the next day was July 4. I didn't know I could have went back to the hospital. My mother and grandmother who was there had never breast fed either. So no help there. We fed him sugar water in a bottle till I could talk to Dr on July 5th. I refused to even consider breastfeeding my daughter and my midwife understood and never pushed me to do so.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nope I didn't want to BF so I didn't, I wasn't comfortable BFing and It wasn't conducive to my health or the health of my child. I mean really who benefits when mommy is stressed and uncomfortable the way I was. So I got wic and formula fed my baby, I could BF but I decided not to.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oh and my kids have very rarely been sick. My daughter had one ear infection in ten years and my son has had only two in 14.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I believe breast is best end of story. BUt I also believe its a womans right to choose but she should KNOW the honest truth and difference. What income has to do with it, I dont know.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 12:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Disagree. If you're on wic, you are probably working outside of the home, and probably in a job that isn't supportive of pumping (which is a whole other issue that pisses me off, because women should have the right to breastfeed their baby, and therefore the right to good pumping breaks).

However, some people forget wic is supplemental. If you are not breastfeeding, you are going to have to pay for part of the formula, especially later on.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have bf all three of my kids. I think it's an ignorant comment. Some women can't bf because of medical issues. Bf isn't always a cheap option. It is cheaper than formula, but if you have to pump things can add up. I HAD to pump for two of my three boys because they were in the PICU. The hospital will provide, but what if you have to work? You have to buy the pump and bags for it. All in all, its a personal choice just like many other issues involved with parenting.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 12:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think if you have the baby then you pay for it, not me. I am sick and tired of people having children and then my tax money helps pay for everything. Yes, there are some who are working and cannot afford the cost but you all have to admit there are alot out there not working and not trying to get a job. I only had the amount of children that I know Hubby and I could afford we did not expect the gov't to pay for things we couldn't, we got another job or did without other things so we could feed and take care of our children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009