My newborn makes funny noises while sleeping. Are there any noises that I should be concerned about? Do all newborns do this?

He's only 9 days old. The doctor said the noises are normal and happen because of reflux. But should I worry about this at all? It's so hard to listen to; it makes me worried! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine did it when he was a newborn and he's a healthy 3yr old, so don't worry too much. I worried as well when he did it; I just couldn't help myself it does sound bad, but I'm sure he's fine.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• mine did the same thing, the only thing you should worry about is if it sounds like apnea. if he stops breathing, and starts up again. you'll be able to tell, if he's gasping like he's been holding his breath for awhile. my daughter did this and turned out having her adenoids removed. but other than that, little gasps, gurgles, peeps, all those are normal and in a few months you'll miss hearing them.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We call our daughter Mouse because of all the squeaks and whistles when she sleeps. It's pretty normal. Our son stopped making all that noise by around three months or so.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My three month old still "chirps". Im kind of glad that he does because it lets me know he's still breathing and doing alright without me having to run in and check on him constantly.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My two month old does this as well. My sis in law calls him pigeon boy lOl.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my lil one did that when she was a baby,she is 17months now and sometimes talks and bables in her sleep
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• What sorts of noises does your baby make?
    My babies made little noises, including farts...lol....and they dreamt a lot so their eyelids moved, they moved suddenly as if startled, and they would even cry in their sleep but stop on their own. It was so cute to watch their faces as their facial muscles made them smile, frown, and pucker up.
    What made me feel better while my babies were little, if I didn't have anything necessary to do, was to hold them or lie down with them while they slept so I could rub their backs, gently rub their heads (they usually smile for that one), kiss them, sing or coo softly to them, and hold them close to the bare skin of my chest so they could hear my heartbeat. This way I knew that they were okay.
    Bless you. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2009