Is a stereotype racist if it is true?

I know that stereotypes don't apply to everyone in the race, and I think that is where the problem is. That when someone believes everyone in a race acts or does things a certain way than that person is racist. But if you know someone, and know that the stereotype does apply to them, is it still racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it depends on how you think of it and them. For example, I hear a stereotype that all military wives cheat. (I'm a military wife, and I KNOW this is FAR from true, so I'm using this one - it's not meant to offend anyone.)

Now, let's say that someone who is not a military wife meets someone named Jane. Jane's dh is in the Navy, and every time he deploys, she's picking up guys at the club, cheating on him every weekend. If you say "Jane is a tramp, she cheats every chance she can get", then NO, that's not using stereotypes. But if you say "Jane's one of those slutty Navy wives, cheating every time her dh leaves" then that would be playing into stereotypes.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Or, if Jane DIDN'T cheat, if you said something like "she's faithful to her dh, she's the exception to the rule" - that would also be a stereotype.

Because honestly, yes, there are probably people of various situations, whether religion, race, sexual orientation, nationality, whatever, that meets that stereotype - BUT - there are also going to be people of OTHER groups that ALSO have the same traits that made that stereotype, but people don't think of them when they want to 'go there".

For example - the stereotype that all African Americans eat fried chicken and watermelon. I know some who do, and I know some who don't. People who are racist would think "of course" when they hear about those who like it, and surprise when they meet an AA that doesn't. But the same racist wouldn't bat an eye to hear that I also love both foods - bc I'm white, so it's not the stereotype. That's what makes it racist / stereotypical.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Good point.

No, the truth is NOT racist. Racism is by definition a case of being blind to the truth because you cannot see the individual behind the race.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Sorry to say but most stereotypes are true.

Oh and waldorfmom the definition is actually
    Main Entry: rac·ism
    Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1933
    1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

It does not mean being blind to the truth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• By definition yes it is assuming all in this certain area is like this. However technically no because they have done study where the percent make the stereotypes. So they generalize a group by this. I still call it racist either way.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• However technically no because they have done study where the percent make the stereotypes. So they generalize a group by this.

Actually, that's not true. Stereotypes don't stem from studies, they stem from ignorance that gets spread as truth, or by a narrow personal observation that is then assumed to be true for the larger group.

For example:
    All AA's love fried chicken and watermelon - there aren't any studies to prove statistically that this is any more true for them than any other ethnic group.
    Blonds have more fun, guys don't date girls in glasses - there are tons of depressed blonds and dating women who wear glasses

There's a huge difference from a stereotype and something that has been researched and determined to be true in most cases - such as people abuse are more likely to be repeat offenders unless they get professional help - that's based on studies, so not a stereotype, it's a statistical fact.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• the stereotypes that i use are exclusively from personal experience. when a "trait" is displayed time and time again, and consequently proven to be true, it pretty much proves my theory. i don't feel bad because i choose not to wander into harlem by myself. late, on a saturday night! i've never been in a compromising situation by using my god-given common sense.

being judgmental (profiling) of a person of questionable character, is being smart. i judge people on a case by case basis, but there are some "telltale" commonalities among thugs (for example), that should send up red-flags among all people! the same could also be said of biker bars--which are predominantly white males--just so y'all don't think i'm racist! lololol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• being judgmental (profiling) of a person of questionable character, is being smart. i judge people on a case by case basis, but there are some "telltale" commonalities among thugs (for example), that should send up red-flags among all people! the same could also be said of biker bars--which are predominantly white males--just so y'all don't think i'm racist!

This is a logical.  Not all bikers are criminals, (many Harley riders are dentists, lol) but if you walk into a bar with a row of choppers out front, and the place looks rough and the people make you nervous, leave.  Don't worry about being judgmental or racist, trust your instincts.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• But again, in the example you used - that wouldn't be a stereotype - you say you wouldn't wonder into Harlem by yourself late on a Saturday night - statistically, that's a high crime area, and not being stereotypical or racist as the case may be. Now, if you were to say "everyone who lives in Harlem is a criminal" that would be stereotypical, or if you were to say "All the black people who live in Harlem are a bunch of gang bangers" that would be racist.

To say "all bikers are thugs" would be stereotypical. To say to yourself, that bar that has all the cops there every weekend, or that biker who just threw a chair through the window is bad news would be using your common sense.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Are stereotypes racist if they have nothing to do with race?

People stereotype Republicans, Democrats, homeschoolers, stay-at-home moms, wealthy people, CEOs, business owners, people who live in mobile homes, people who live in the South, Texans, Californians, artists, used-car salesmen, lawyers, busty women, fat people.... I could go on for hours.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009