I know people love drama on here but...........I DO need suggetions

My DS is turning 3 tomorrow, and I need suggestions, I wanted to do Chuck E Cheese, but his dad and I feel that he's not really old enough. What with all the big kids playing the games ( I have noticed in ours that there aren't many "little kid" games there). We are having the party on the weekend, so I have time, but should I just do the family thing again?

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 12:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'm not sure where you live, but weather permitting..a party at the park? My friend's son turned 2 and all the kids and b-day boy loved playing while the adults got to sit and talk. plus, can u say cheap? :)
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yeah the park idea is cute for a 3 year old. They will probably have more fun on the playground than get beat up by big kids at Chuck E Cheese. But I'd only do family and couple of close friends. I did a big party for my 1 year old...that was a disaster and did not go as planned. She would have had WAY WAY more fun if it was just family. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Depending on your budget and size of your group, here are some ideas you might consider -

You could try something like taking him out for an ice cream - and letting him get 3 scoops, because he's turning 3 yrs old.

You could also have people come over and do the fun kid friendly foods, etc for it, maybe even doing something fun and silly like making smiley face hot dogs (cut them so they curl up), and use broccoli or cauliflower for the nose, pickle slices for the eyes, pretzel sticks for the hair, etc.
    Or whatever fun sort of kid food or normal party food that you would do. You could also clear a space in your living room for games lie duck duck goose, etc.

You could see if your local McDonald's or other fast food with a play area does birthday parties, or someplace like Build a Bear - they also do parties.

If it's warm, you could go to the park or something like that.

Happy Birthday to your little one :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It really depends on how many other kids there will be. We don't have family around, my daughter is not in preschool, and there are very few kids around here her age. So we just don't do parties. Last year we let her choose a special place to spend her birthday, and she picked a park. This year, she's picking the zoo (she'll be 4). We'll go as a family and celebrate her birthday that way.
    Now, if there were more kids and/or family around we'd probably do the park thing or have a party at home.

My nieces always had their parties at Chuck E Cheese and they were just....awful.
    shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 8:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I hate chuck e cheese. GERMS!!! DIRTY!!!! Well anyway how about a party in the park? Or maybe depending on your weather rent a bounce house and have it in the back yard. Or just do a special family party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• 3 not old enough for Chuck E Cheese. Seriously? My 3 yo goes all the time and loves it. We do that on rainy days. We had her 3rd birthday there though we didn't do a party. My husband, kids, myself, my dad, and my friend and his 2 kids went. Ordered pizza and salad and let the kids play for about 2 hours came home and had cake and ice cream. Had a blast.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my son is 3 and there is very little for them at that age at chuckee cheese theyle be frustrated and youle disapointed,there are several indoor bouncey arenas depending on were you live ..thers one in troy, huber hieghts, kettering, with padded floors games and lots of the realy big inflatables you se at church carnivals, etc it is like $7.00 for 4 hrs and drinks and snacks to just leave youre child there though i always stay and they do have party rates $ vary wether you want to bring youre own food or have pizza and wether you want them to do the cake or bring youre own would cost the same as chuckies maybe $50 dep on extras and they will sleep for the next day or so
    charles289

Answer by charles289 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• In all honesty, do you remember your 3rd birthday? Most people don't. It doesn't matter what you do or where you go. They're only just starting to grasp the concept of 'birthdays'. I would keep it simple with the park or McD's. Save the expensive stuff for a day they'll remember. It kind of makes the money a little more better spent.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• For my twins I do a birthday playdate. They have a few friends come over to play in the morning, at snack time we do cupcakes and sing happy birthday, then it's back to playing for a bit and guests leave at lunch time.

They'll be three in a couple of weeks. I think I'm going to add a book exchange to our playdate this year. Each child brings a book and each child goes home with a book.

I'm sure you could also just have the family over for cake and ice cream. I don't think kids need a real "party with friends" until they're school age because they're still young and still learning (not to mention parties can be overwhelming).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thank you all for your suggestions! Ok, I think I'm gonna go with the family thing. The weather is supposed to be rainy, so we'll just throw and indoor one this year, we already have TONS of supplies.
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2009