Another question for Catholics

There was a question addressed to Catholics and it made me think of this one. Are the masses at your particular church celebrated in Latin or English? My mil is Catholic and I have attended midnight mass on Christmas eve with her. That was in English and open to all. So I'm curious if most masses are in Latin or English or if it varies?
Thanks

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 1:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are different types of Masses. The most popular in the Latin Rite is the Novus Ordo (New Order) Mass, which as erdavh can be said in the vernacular. In the US that's usually English; however, if there's a large eithic population in a parish they may have Mases said in Spanish or other language. The Novus Ordo Mass can also be said in Latin - but this is different than the Trinitine (Traditional) Mass which can be said ONLY in Latin.

The Trinitine Mass was the type of Mass used in all Latin Rite Catholic Church up until a little after Vatican II (when the Novus Ordo Mass as introduced). The use of the Trinitine Mass was restricted after Vatican II, but restrictions were lifted not too long ago and so it's making a bit of a comeback.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I've only been to ONE church where the Latin mass was said ONCE...it was the Carmel Mission Basilica.

Most churches use English masses. There is a community of churches usign the Tridentine Mass.

http://web2.airmail.net/carlsch/MaterDei/churches.htm

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Masses are in English, except for special situations.

I remember the year they changed from Latin to English. I was in 3rd grade. 1964, I think.

All of us kids HATED the change. We talked about it together. We liked the Latin, we understood the Latin (the missals in which we followed along as the Mass was proceeding had Latin on one page, and English on the facing page)

It felt to us like a loss of the sacredness and wonder ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Some still do Latin but they also have an English mass and a Spanish mass
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• English
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• They quit doing all Latin a long time ago. I went to Catholic school in the late 70's/early 80's & it was all English then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Latin Masses are also called Tridentine Masses. I think they are usually offered at at least one church in the diocese.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• When my father was in catholic school (late 60's early 70's) they still did Mass in Latin. By the time I got there is was in English- probably an attempt to up attendance.

Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 10:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Since the early 60's the language of the Mass has been in the vernacular (the common language of each place), our church currently has all but one Mass in English, one is in Spanish. Other parishes in San Diego have masses in Italian, Greek, Korean, Vietnamese, and Aramaic or Arabic (I'm not sure which) in our rather large Chaldean community. We also have one parish which offers only Latin masses.

Before the early 60's masses were in Latin.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 11:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Our church has a Spanish, Latin and English Mass. Our old Parish had Spanish, English and Polish. As others have said it depends on the language of the area.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2009