So, this random though just popped in my head.

Why on earth can't I get fixed at 18? Seriously, my fiance and I DO NOT want ANYMORE kids, one is plenty for us. I don't see why I can't get my tubes tied.

This is my mini-rant for the night.

LadyJayne27

Asked by LadyJayne27 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Who told you that you couldn't? Granted I personally would want to wait until I was a bit older. I can tell you from personal experience, I'm 45, that you change a lot as you age. That would be a drastic step and you might regret it. But you are an adult. It should be up to you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Apparently my gyno won't do it. I'm probably just going to wait a couple more years and see what happens, and if our mindset is still the same I'll get it done.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have heard many things from different states
    There are "rules" regaurding it everywhere
    I do know tho that in Oklahoma when I was 17 I was asked if I wanted to get my tubes tired.
    It just might be where you live
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• lots of girls your age get the procedure because they are pressured by their boyfriends, fiances, or husbands and as much as you always think it will last forever, chances of those relationships lasting are slim and then when you are old enough to enter a mature relationship, it could be a deal breaker for another man that wants kids.
    Also, you are so young to be making such a drastic choice. Is it really that hard to use birth control and condoms?
    I am 22 and although I am not THAT much older than you, I can tell you that at 18 I was not capable of making decisions like that. Why the hurry? I am scared for you that you arent quite mature enough yet to be causing your reproductive organs irreversible damage.

jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Because 18 really is too young to be done having kids. See, people are supposed to BEGIN after they are 18 because that is when they are legally an adult. DUH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Because regardless of how grown up and responsible you may be, you're still a kid and shouldn't be making such lasting decisions until you've had a few years or more to think about it. I promise you that in just 10 short years you'll look back at pictures of yourself now and know that you were still a kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Would you want to have another child if the one you already had passed away? Or, what if your relationship didn't work out and down the road you met and fell in love with someone else and wanted to have a child together?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think it's funny that you said "get fixed" lol... anyway I'm ALL for ANYONE getting their tubes tied at any age whether they have 0, 1, 2, or more kids! I'd try to find another Dr to do it. When I lived in Minnesota I knew a girl that was 21 with no kids and they let her (thank God! She definitely shouldn't be reproducing! Guess the Dr. agreed lol)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thanks for the sarcasm anon, note that I did get it, I speak it as a second language.

The child I have wasn't planned, at all, I got pregnant at 17, and he's not my fiance's child (I was with a different guy at the time, he didn't believe in using condoms, yeah you get the picture, and yes, I know, I was quite stupid.) Anyway, we're quite happy with not having more kids, we love our son (he claims him as his even though he's not, his real dad wants nothing to do with him, and I'm fine with that he's a good for nothing POS.), and I decided I didn't want anymore, I hated being pregnant and I'm a big weenie when it comes to pain. I wasn't pressured into getting it done, I made the decision myself, I'm a lot more mature than most 18 year olds, my mom tells me I act like I'm 40 some days. If I decide I want another child I would much rather adopt.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Haha I know a TON of people like that Blueliner.

Yes, anon, if my son would have passed away (which I'm SO glad he didn't because I did almost lose him when I was 10 weeks pregnant), I would want to have another child.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2009