Contractions???? PLEASE help me, I'm in major pain!!

This is my first pregnancy, I am 39 weeks and I have NO CLUE what a real contraction would feel like.

I heard the most common, "strong menstral cramps" .. problem: I never got menstral cramps before, so therefore, don't have a clue as to what they feel like.

Since this afternoon I have been getting non stop UNBEARABLE pain right below my belly button..like in my lower belly, that whole area.. I cry it hurts so bad, and I also pee every 5 min and it's clear because I go so much I'm guessing.

I have tried to go to sleep, but that is IMPOSSIBLE because of this pain, now I know what braxton hix feels like, the tightning in your belly, is more annoying than painful.. This, is pure pain.

Now my doctor said it could be the baby pressing on my bladder, but would that cause this much pain for me??
Please help me out and explain this to me as clear as possible.. I don't wanna have to return to the hospital and get sent home

xohcannizzo

Asked by xohcannizzo at 1:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If the pain has you in tears, then its worth a trip to L&D.

I was like you, and didn't have menstral cramps, but when I got major pains with my #1 that was my que to head in.

Good luck :)
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If your in enough pain to bring tears to your eyes and have been having pains all day it sounds to me like your getting ready to have your baby. I would use the time you have before you end up having to go to the hospital to make sure your bags are packed and your house is in order for when you come home with baby.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I agree. I'd rather go to L&D and be sent home than sit at home and wonder why I was in so much pain.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 1:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• They won't yell at you for coming to L&D. If you are in enough pain to have tears go. If I listening to my doctor...my baby would have been born on my mom's bed
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If you are in that much pain the you should go. When you get the contractions time then, how far apart and how long they last. Good Luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You should go in. With my 3rd baby I had never gone into labor on my own. I waited until my contractions were less than 5 minutes apart before I called my Dr. I was already at 9 cm when I got to her office and was rushed across the street to the hospital. lol

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Don't go to l and d go to the e r. They don't want laboring women or pregnant women. op, labor is pain not cramps. Labor is pain that comes in increments nonstop and does not stop until baby is out.

You're allowed to be worried. If you're sent home it's not because your pain is unimportant it's because other women's pains are more advanced. You want your pain tended to. Women who are further along and less far along in pain want theirs tended to also.

You don't know if you'll be sent home until you are. Give a call to your ob. Some moms deliver fast others slower. Congratulations - and Best Wishes!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I had that problem and it turned out to be my gallbladder. : (
    (My contractions were not that painful more like little squeezes every so often. Contractions are meant to slowly push the baby down not to be in so much pain you are peeing on your self!!) ( this is only form me im not speaking for every one) With my gallbladder I peed my self, it hurt so bad i throw up I though my baby way scratching my belly out. it was not tell my baby was born that it happened again that we knew that it was not the baby at all!!! passing a stone hurts!!! My doctor said it is very common in pregnant women
    TristaAshlynn

Answer by TristaAshlynn at 3:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Pain is pain. and if it is interferring in your normal activity then it needs to be addressed. Don't care if you go to L&D or the ER or your OB office, but go somewhere. I would call my OB doctor and let them know what's going on. That way when you get to L&D you can tell them you are supposed to be meeting your Dr. and they get you a room.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Contractions start out not hurting at all and gradually get stronger. If they're all the same in intensity and hurting that bad, it could be another problem. Also, if they're contractions it will be in a pattern. Time them and see if they're in a consistent pattern.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009