A question for God fearing Christians who live and breath the Bible, do you think that couples that divorce for any other reason than adultery are going to hell?

The Bible has been very clear that a decree of divorce is only acceptable by God if there is adultery involved. Do you personally believe that half our world is going to hell, or be harshly punished for divorcing for other reasons like, forms of abuse, can't work problems out, etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ask yourself this.. does your husband abide by God? Does he care for you the way God wants him to? God wants you to feel loved...in much the same way as you want your own children to feel loved..you do everything to ensure that your childrens needs for love and attention are met, don't you? God wants that for you as well, and also for your children...neglect is just another form of abuse... if selfishness doesn't come from God, who does it come from? You may think evil is a harsh word, but selfishness by it's very nature is evil, not from God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Actually, it isn't my decision who goes to hell. So therefore I don't dwell on it. Why such a big deal? God said, "Believe and be baptized." Do you believe? Are you baptized?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• No siree Bob...I believe a man who physically or verbally abuses his wife and/or children is on a fast track to hell...& so many women stay in abusive marriages because of this 'religious' brainwashing...it's sick & twisted and the work of the devil if you ask me that a woman believes she must stay in a marriage with an evil man so she won't go to hell~!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what if he isn't evil? what if he's just stupid and selfish? and in his stupid selfishness he hurts his wife and her child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Same thing, neglect is abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what does being a believer and being baptized have to do with the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nope, adultery is not the only reason for divorce. The bible also gives allowances for if your spouse isn't the same religion as you. I'll need a little bit to find the exact scripture.

That being said, the bible also sets out an example about how husbands and wives are supposed to treat each other in order to live in harmony in accordance to God's word. If a husband is being a good Christian he is also being a good husband and wouldn't be abusing his wife.

So the answer to your question is no, I don't think half the worlds population is going to burn in hell for getting divorced.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You asked if people were going to go to hell if they got divorced for any other reason then adultery. I'm sorry if my answer was not clear. NO they will not go to hell if they believe in Jesus as thier Lord and Savior and are baptized.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• selfish is evil- both are conscious decisions made by a person to be that way.

I used to be with a man who was extremely egotistical. His ego made him physically and verbally violent and emotionally violent to those he needed to control. He lived to exact fear.

Stupid is a person who can make a change but doesn't have to do so for a better life, and is one who chooses to not change but remain the same.
    Anonymous

• actually the Bible says that not to marry unequally yoked but, if you do then you as the believer should still love your hubby and be a witness to him/her.
    Anonymous