• In the Spotlight:

If you have ethnic curly hair do you leave it curly or straighten it more?

I ask because I can ethnic curly hair and started enbracing it fully in the last few years. Just learning to care for it. Growing up my family used to tell me my hair was ugly and only straightened hair is pretty and exceptable. Finally when I moved from home I branched out and started wearing my hair curly. I get alot of stares and looks because my hair is big lol. Don't know how to take those looks. Just wanted to see how many of ladies with hair like myself do with it.

NuMommy87

Asked by NuMommy87 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My husband, daughter and MIL have very curly Italian hair. What works best for my daughter is to comb it out with a wide toothed comb in the shower and then towel dry. Run a little smoothing gel or cream through it, shake it out, and it's beautiful. Just don't touch it after it's dried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You could keep it curly but if it starts to frizz, then I would suggest straightening it out a little.I think loose curls look good on everyone.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't have ethnic curly hair but my hair is very, very curly with tight curls. I've always hated it because no matter what I do to it, it still starts to frizz unless I coat every single strand with enough gel to keep it tame. But as I get older I realize it is pretty and people would pay alot of money to get perms to look like pretty curly hair.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I am multiracial and have thick, curly hair- tight spirals. I like how my hair looks curly if I have it in long layers. The problem is that I have to use so much hair product in it to control frizz- especially where I live- that it makes it too dry and hard to manage. It is much easier to manage when it is straight. I don't get chemical relaxers- I just blow dry it straight and then curl it with a large rod curling iron.

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Even though my hair is straightened in my profile pic, I always tend to wear my hair curly. I'm half Puerto Rican, half Swedish and I have the curliest hair in my family. Having ethnic curly hair can be somewhat of a curse but definitely a god-send. It's great that you have embraced your curly hair, believe me, it sets you apart from the norm! It can be hard at times to care for curly hair, but once you get the hang of it, you're good to go...
    T.Lib

Answer by T.Lib at 10:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• in the summer I straighten my hair, in the winter, i leave it curly. I use I.C hair polisher and styling gel. I have tried hundreds of products and this works for me.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2009