adhd...to medicate or not to medicate?

i have heard some mixed things....what are your thoughts? i know that no one should decide for my kid....but i would like to hear opinions and or your experiences

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it really depends on how bad it is. Is there anyway of you getting him some therapy treatment? My sister's little guy was supposed to be put on medication but they found that if he always had something in his hands (like a stress ball) he was able to focus much better.
    Like you said it is up to you what you do, but I think medication should be the last option not the first.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 2:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• yeah, hes been in a school that focuses therapy...but he really cant sit still or listen or focus. he is very very behind on speech and i just know thats why... he cant carry a conversation...he will be in kindergarten next year but there is no way he could be in a class without a person dedicated to watching only him....he could judt run out the door ! i am so lost and worried he will fall behind even more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• if you are at the point where you think medication will be helpful than go for it. Just make sure you are informed about the side effects ect with the medication and talk to other mothers who have their children on it.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 3:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• before medicine you should look at diet, excercise, sleep patterns, there are a wealth of books on it.... being that you are talking about a kid 3-4....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Medication should be a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• All you can do is try the meds for 1 month and see what happens. If his school performance, attention and concentration improves then you know the medication is what is best. It will be a guessing game what works or what doesn't. What therapy or medication works for one child may not work for yours. A combination of medication and therapy usually is the best. My son is 13 and has been on meds for 4 years and it has been an amazing improvement. I do not medicate during the summer as he doesn't need the intense concentration because there is no school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think a child should never be drugged unless all other alternatives have been exhausted. Have you tried dietary changes?
    Anonymous

• if he's starting kindergarten I have to think you've more than tried it all and at this point, this IS your last resort. I hate the thought of giving meds to kids but I am also not a fan of over medicating for every problem for adults either but as a person with a chemical imbalance and needs to be medicated to maintain sanity, I UNDERSTAND sometimes when all else fails, it has to be tried too! I would just really read the side effects and watch his behavior, I am sure you will do right for your son, you already are!! Good luck! I also have a 2 year old son that can't even sit still to watch 3 minutes of tv or stand still long enough to listen to a short reason not to do something so I don't feel I am far behind you. I feel like I repeat myself 100 times a day for each thing. Its exhausting
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Never will I medicate my son.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2009