(Christians) Do u go to heaven right away?

My friend and I were talking and I really thought if you were saved and you died you go straight to heaven but she told me she read somewhere in the Bible that you sleep till judgment day.... i'm just kinda confused on the whole subject anyone have some verses? And if you die and ur a nonbeliever you go straight to hell? or sleep till judgment day? Thanks :)

Armywife510

Asked by Armywife510 at 3:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure but I do believe there is some kind of transitional period.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I'm not sure, and I think no one knows for sure. (How could we?) But I just feel secure in knowing there is an end result- Heaven...and that's all I need to know :)
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 7:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 “Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope.

We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Therefore, encourage each other with these words.”
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• (NIV) 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 “Listen I tell you a mystery: we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed-in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality. When, the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: Death has been swelled up in victory.”
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Well since not many people know anyone who died and came back to tell about their experience so. it's hard to say. I am not trying to be sarcastic.:) the bible does talk those that sleep, it also says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord which suggests as soon as you die you go to be with the Lord.who knows , do the recently departed hang around to see their own funeral and then pass on, do they sleep until judgement or do they go directly to heaven or hell. It's not really something we will know until we experience it ourselves. The important thing is to now that you are going to heaven.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I believe the spirit goes to be with God if you are Christian , it is our physical body that sleeps.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Our physical bodies sleep and our spirit is present with the Lord in heaven.

Jesus told the thief on the cross.. this day you will be with me in paradise.
    Anonymous

• I agree with teamquinn, our physical body sleeps and our spirit goes to be with the Lord. "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." 2 Cor. 5:8.

When we die we leave our body and our body "sleeps" because that is what it looks like. We go to be with the Lord. Paul talks about how in death we leave the "tent" of our body.

Also Jesus says that the people who are dead are conscious (Luke 16:19-31). And Hebrews says that we have a great cloud of witnesses, those who have died in the faith.

The dead are not sleeping right now, they are fully conscious-- but their bodies are in the dirt "sleeping." When the rapture happens, those who are raptured will meet the Lord in the air, and the dead will regain thier physical bodies. And then we will all be together : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Exactly anon: Jesus didn't say that later on the guy would be in paradise, but today!!! When I close my eyes here and take my last breath, I will open my eyes and see the Lord : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009