Do you use a woodstove to heat with?

We have a woodstove and I just love it. We have electric heat too but try not to turn it on. I like having boiling water for tea all the time and heating up spices and such in a pan on it to make the house smell good. It's just a nice cozy feeling.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 5:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• WE LOVE OUR WOOD STOVE it has a more homey touch!!!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i grew up with one and miss it VERY much! the smell of the wood burning, the spices in water on top of it my mother always put on, oh it was great! the only thing i DONT miss is the loading and stacking wood...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We have a wood-burning insert in our fireplace, but we can only use it in very cold weather. It makes our home way too warm to be pleasant unless the temperatures are below freezing. It is very toasty when we are able to use it, though.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We have a wood stove with oil furnace back up which we really only use to keep the pipes from freezing on very cold nights or if we are out of town for a few days. I don't mind the extra work involved, it's good excercise. And it saves us a ton over heating with oil.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• the idea of a wood stove is so retro, i love it. I grew up with one in my parents basement, as old as the house was, that's the only level it heated up. The oil furnace was conventional, but for the age of the house, many others on our street had the same.   In the house i own now we have a 55 to 60 year old wood burning fire place and on cold days and nights the house is nice a warm. A fire place fan installation helps the hot air into the dinning area and the kitchen.

falling_leaves

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 12:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My Husbands Grandmother has one and I am jealous. I would love to have one! We rarely lose power here from ice but it would be soo nice to have a backup should we have a power outage.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We do have a wood stove. We haven't turned on our oil furnace in 3 years! We just can't afford to. We use it all the time! Except the heat doesn't get to the bedroom Well! but so far its only been down to 60 in there! I can live! Even my cats then go under the quilts! I just fear when the little ones are over. They're 4, 23 mos. old & a Baby. I always Fear they'd touch it! When Michael was 2 he nearly did! He scared me so bad! There really isn't Safe gates to put in front of it! I do hate the wood mess all over. Or getting a sliver.. I think it upsets my Breathing issues! But this is how we have to live! I'm just Happy we have heat & Warmth! It does put out a lot of dust & all... Sometimes A bird in the pipes can cause a great deal of effort to save it! But there's good & bad with Everything!! We did lose power one year from the 23-24 of December! We didn't Freeze!! We had Heat!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2009