Prt 2 All religions PLEASE partisipate! What is your perception of these bible verses?

This is a perception study to see how people in all religions perceive a bible verse when reading it. You do not have to believe in the bible I just wish to know personal perception and if they differ from religion at the end I will post the actual translated definitions. Please NO BASHING OTHERS IN THIS POST.

1st What is your religion?
Also tell me whether or not you follow these even by coincidence. As well as Why you feel you follow or don't follow them.

Hebrew 1 & 5,6
1 Let brotherly love continue.

5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholic

1 - The Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Simple.
    5 - Dont complain about hardships. Offer them to Jesus and he will take care of you.
    6 - His Holy Spirit will be with you, too. Men arent here to judge one another. Only God can do that.
    MegaMamaTX

Answer by MegaMamaTX at 11:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• 1st What is your religion? Muslim
    Hebrew 1 & 5,6
    1 Let brotherly love continue. - self explaining !!! Islamically we should wish for our brothers what we wish for ourselves which is a similar concept. Do not let the shaitan (devil) come between you.

5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. - Be content with what you have, and dont fear God will provide for you. - yes muslim teaching

6So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. - That God is the only helper , and as the power is in his hands, once you trust him , there is no need to fear any other besides him, men may harm you in this life but it is in the eternal hereafter we put our hopes. - Yes a muslim teaching.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 11:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Im eclectic Wiccan.

I get that you should love your fellow man(aka brother).

It says you shouldnt desire more than what you have already been blessed(cuz quite frankly, its pretty obvious that once you start wanting what others have you tend to get greedy and mean and all sorts of other ugly attributes tend to show up).

It also talks about the Lord being your sidekick(so to speak) so not to fear because he'll be there to help ya out(just like any good sibling should do).

Well...I try not to desire what others have cuz I know Im very blessed with what I have now. I also try to be good to my fellow man.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• (Atheistic) Satanist

Hebrew 1 & 5,6
    1 Let brotherly love continue. - seems to be along the lines of "love thy neighbor", which I do believe to a point. I do not believe its possible to love everyone, and I don't believe we should try to force ourselves to...but I am kind to others unless they give me a reason not to be.

5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. - Its saying we shouldn't want things, and we should be content with what we have. Again, I only agree to a point. I think its perfectly fine to want more for yourself...in fact, how would anyone ever get anywhere if they stayed content with what little they have? I also don't think wanting material things is a sin. If it gets out of hand and is detrimental, then your common sense should tell you stop, but otherwise, what's the bad in it?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• cont.....
    6So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. - This is saying that God protects you and that you shouldn't fear what men do to you here on earth because it won't matter in the afterlife. I don't agree with this, obviously, since I don't believe in God or an afterlife. I credit myself with all the things I accomplish and the talents I have. I protect myself and my family, not some higher being. I believe this is just one of the many ways Christians make themselves feel better about bad things happening to them...they are comforted by the fact that there won't be any bad in heaven. I don't need this. I know that bad things are not my fault or a god's fault. Bad things just happen because that's what chaos is. Some things effect us negatively, some effect us positively, but nothing is connected to some "good or evil" force.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I am a Neopagan. My impressions of these are:

Hebrew 1 & 5,6
    1 Let brotherly love continue. - this is somewhat vague & could mean support your family or love all people as your brothers, I suppose. In the support your family aspect I suppose I pretty much follow it but not for any religious reason. In the love all as your brothers, I do not follow it, I do not have a sense of all people being my family, many are just useless strangers.

5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. - I would take this to mean don't be jealous of others, as all have the love of Christ equally & that is what matters. I do not follow these too much. I am jealous of others at times, though I never let jealousy consume me & I don't feel that we all share in Christ.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• 6So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. - This one seems pretty self-explanatory don't fear mankind & suffering because in the end God is on your side. I certainly don't follow this one. I fear mankind more than anything else in this world (except maybe spiders, they are evil, but I digress) & don't believe there is any god that can make things "ok" in the end.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am a born-again, Bible believing Christian. First of all, this passage of Scripture was written by Paul TO Christians. It was not written to unbelievers.

Hebrew 1 & 5,6 1 Let brotherly love continue.

Not only is this talking about brotherly love towards all men (in the respect that we all were born from Adam), but this was mainly talking about brotherly love among the Christians. During the time of Paul's writing there was alot of persecution towards the church that was taking its toll on the believers. Also, there was alot of division towards saved Gentiles and saved Jews as to what parts of the law they would continue to observe (dietary, sacrificial, holy days). Paul addresses this alot in the letters to the church. Alot of these differences were causing division among the church and Paul was admonishing them to continue in brotherly love because they were all brothers/sisters in Christ.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 4:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• 5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

This verse talks about Christian contentment. We must guard our conversation carefully because we are children of God. We must be careful to obtain a good testimony before others who don't know Christ. We must also be content with the things that God has given to us. We must never think that we deserve better because what we truly deserve is hell because of our sin. But when we trust Christ as our Saviour, He forgives us of our sins and saves us from hell. Therefore we can honor His sacrifice for us by becoming a living sacrifice for Him and not complaining about what we do not have in life, or our lot in life. Paul said " I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content". We should be content because God promised to never leave us (saved, children of God)...
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 4:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• ...nor forsake us. King David said that He had never seen the righteous forsaken nor His seed begging bread. God does not forsake His own. Just as a honorable father takes care of his children, feeds them, clothes them, and loves them, God does them same only more!
    Which brings us to the last verse. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
    What can man do unto us that God could not prevent? If God can speak the world into existence..if God can make man out of the dust of the ground..if God cares for and feeds the sparrow, or clothes the lilies of the field should we be afraid of what a man can do to us? Even satan had to get permission from God to tempt Job. God knew that Job was a Godly man and would not turn his back on God. God will not allow anything to happen to His children that would be against His will....
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 4:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2009