Do you think the UAW is playing a game with FORD for not taking the bailout?

The UAW rank-and-file rejected a renegotiated contract from Ford intended to bring themselves into parity with GM and Chrysler. The workers rejected the counsel of their own union, which had endorsed the new contract.

Article: Ford Motor Co. workers have overwhelmingly rejected contract changes that would have allowed the automaker to cut labor costs, leaving Ford at a disadvantage to its Detroit rivals as it continues its struggle to return to profitability.
The United Auto Workers union had given local unions until Monday to complete voting. But a person briefed on the voting said Saturday that the contract changes have been rejected by large margins. The person asked not to be named because the UAW hasn’t announced the results yet.
The UAW and Ford agreed to the contract changes several weeks ago, but Ford workers needed to ratify them. Ford has 41,000 UAW-represented workers.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The union workers either need to play ball or get ready to be unemployed. As we learned from Cash for Clunkers, Americans prefer Japanese cars.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The union is playing a horrible game given the current economic conditions. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the UAW is trying to push FORD into a position where the government needs to step in.
    Cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Misery loves company.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think Ford will be forced to pay for its decision to not take bailout money. Obama has to be someone annoyed they pulled a profit out of their butts and are doing better than Government Motors. My bil works for Ford in management there is so much waste in the union system and the unions are one of the biggest reasons cars are so expensive. Their overtime system is ridiculous. If you need someone in a specific department to work 8 hours of overtime because someone else is on vacation. You have to pay everyone on the overtime list in front of them 8 hours of overtime too. My bil said one time they needed someone who was 350 on the list to the 349 in front of that person who could not do what this guy did all got 8 hours of overtime. He hated doing it but that is the rules.

Banks that didn't want bailout money were threatened so I am not shocked that Ford will pay for its choice to fix its own mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Labor union suck !!!!! I know I work for one.
    Anonymous

• DOWN WITH THE UNIONS!! BUNCH OF UNGRATEFUL COWARDS! I HOPE THE S.O.B's LOSE THEIR EFFIN' JOBS! FREE ENTERPRISE FOREVER BABY!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Well, Ford says they have a billion $ profit for the 3rd quarter and they should be profitable on their own(without cash for clunkers etc) by 2011. I hope they are right. GM and Chrysler will be in the red for years to come leading us to keep bailing them out till we get some balls in Office.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• LOL I'm confused by the title of this post. The UAW is playing a game with Ford for not taking a bailout? Umm..no. The UAW is honoring the wishes of the workers! They don't approve of the contract changes, and the union will back the workers on their dissension. They're pissed that they are being asked to make concessions when the ceo made $17.7 million last year.

So tell me how this has anything to do with the union punishing Ford for not taking bailout money?

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Obama has to be someone annoyed they pulled a profit out of their butts and are doing better than Government Motors.

Rightttt...I forgot the golden rule! EVERYTHING is Obama's fault.

eye rolling

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009