Do you think switching from ped to family practitioner is a good idea?

My daughter is 11yo and recently became a "woman" shes also about 5ft 5 and weighs around 130 lbs so takes adult doses. Shes been seeing a VERY good pediatritian since she was born, this doc is the BEST and very good with kids...but i knew that once she started she wouldnt be comfortable talking about this stuff with a guy....so i told her to be prepared at her next appointment and she wasnt thrilled at all...there are a few female docs there too but she doesnt like them very much.
Now I go to a family practitioner here in town and love my doc, shes the best! my daughter has heard me talk about her and i know my sisters two kids go to her too. She wants to change to her, and i dont see a problem with it either.. as one of my friends pointed out she is still a child and pediatricians can handle her until shes eighteen...and they are specialized in children specificially...should i keep her where she is or let her chose?

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• There should be no problem with your DD seeing a family practitioner. If your DD has any medical conditions that require a specialist, your family practitioner can refer her out like any other doctor. Also, if your DD is uncomfortable to talk to the pediatrician, she may not be forthcoming with information, and that is crucial when diagnosing a condition. Take her where she is comfortable.
    Personally, I have been seeing my family practitioner for 4 years, and my DD (19 months) has been seeing him since birth. There is a female nurse practitioner that does the "girl stuff". The office staff is great, and the NPs & my doc are wonderful with all of us. I will probably stay with this practice as long as it is open :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Let her choose. If she's not comfortable with the ped, she's not going to be forthcoming with him, which will make it very difficult for him to give her proper care and treatment when she has a problem. If she wants to switch, let her switch. What's most important is that she is able to talk to her dr and get complete care, instead of partial care b/c she's too embarassed to tell her dr that she has whatever problem.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• shes definitely old enough to decide...even though i do see what your friend is saying it wont make a difference if she sees a family practitioner or ped because shes in adult doses so both will treat her the same way....and i agree with the above poster...you want her to be comfortable!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have always taken my kids to a family doctor. We have never been to a pediatrician. So I say go for it! :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My son is under the care of many specialists at a childrens hospital. He does not have garden variety medical problems. My other son is normal. He goes to a family practitioner when he goes which is rare. A good family doctor is a fine. It would be better to have her comfortable talking to a woman about female concerns now. Later, and we never like to talk about pre-marital sex, but later if she needs help in the area of birth control she will have an established relationship with a medical professional. Better to have an established relationship where she can be honest about birth control than a baby before she is ready.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I've always thought that unless there are specific medical problems with a child, a family Dr is fine. Mine have always seen a family Dr rather than a pedi. We have a pedi shortage here and since my kids are basically healthy they have no need of the specialized care a pedi gives, so I'd rather leave the pedi for the kids who need them. And I agree that your daughter would be better off with someone she's comfortable with and will be open to talking to. It doesn't matter if the pedi is the specialist, he can't properly treat her if she's not able to share everything with him.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Let her choose...after about 10 years old, I really clammed up around my male doctor, so my parents found me a female to see.
    Jeiao

Answer by Jeiao at 8:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I came to answer the ?,then saw your explanation as to why this would be more beneficial to her. Just remember...family practices...no secrets. Is your daughter going to be comfortable with that? Otherwise,I've always had the experience in family practices that you are treated more like a case than a patient,yet if this works for you and your family,goferit,mama.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 9:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i just switched my 4 yr old to my family practice, once he could tell you where it hurts and be understood by adults -- was the plan... it was a great choice, our family doc is sooo excited to have a 4 yr old patient. he played with him, actually did developmental testing. (put on your socks, answer ??'s) we didnt have to wait at all, he was great, i feel that he is getting so much better care than at the pedi where they are sick of kids and parents... so at age 11, she is certainly ready.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My 1 year old goes to a family doctor because I was not happy with his pediatrician at all. I say leave it up to her. She is old enough to have a say.
    jridgill

Answer by jridgill at 9:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2009