Thoughts on this?

PRISTINA, Kosovo – Thousands of ethnic Albanians braved low temperatures and a cold wind in Kosovo's capital Pristina to welcome former President Bill Clinton on Sunday as he attended the unveiling of an 11-foot (3.5-meter) statue of himself on a key boulevard that also bears his name.

Clinton is celebrated as a hero by Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority for launching NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia in 1999 that stopped the brutal Serb forces' crackdown on independence-seeking ethnic Albanians.

This is his first visit to Kosovo since it declared independence from Serbia last year.

Many waved American, Albanian and Kosovo flags and chanted "USA!" as the former president climbed on top of a podium with his poster in the background reading "Kosovo honors a hero."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Thats cool. He helped them! I like my independence. Im sure theyre extremely grateful for clinton to have helped them get theirs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• While I agree with Anon :42, I also have to think what a world is coming to when we celebrate a man (or woman) for killing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My thoughts? My thought is that it amazes me that people in other countries can be so grateful for freedoms and liberty and not be afraid to express their feelings, it makes me wonder why more people in our own country can't or won't do the same. That's my thought.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Many waved American, Albanian and Kosovo flags and chanted "USA!"- That is a sight to see!

Clinton is celebrated as a hero by Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority for launching NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia in 1999 that stopped the brutal Serb forces' crackdown on independence-seeking ethnic Albanians. Great!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• From a standpoint of a tax paying american looking at the Clinton War in Kosovo:
    Clinton waged against tyrannical regimes that did not immediately threaten the United States.
    Clinton's war provoked strong public opposition(maybe not as strong as "some" others, but those anti-war ARE on the left)
    Clinton brought criticism that not enough ground forces were being brought to bear against the enemy. Clinton used ‘questionable’ interrogation tactics (rendition, etc)
    One thing, the media tend to refer to Clinton's war as a "campaign", while other, most recent wars were called an "invasion".
    Makes you wonder how those who approved of Clinton's intervention in Kosovo ( without UN approval), purly as a humanitarian mission~objected to the war in Iraq. Maybe History will acknowledge.
    What a difference an administration makes.jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• When we celebrate a man or woman for killing....

Well, we also celebrate Washington and Lincoln, and both of those men were people who ordered others to kill people. And there are times that, as reprehensible as killing is, sometimes it's necessary to kill someone or a group of someones to stop them from killing even more.

It's not pretty, and it's not nice, and I wish from the depths of my soul that this wasn't the case, but sadly, it is.

btw - I'm not a Clinton fan, but I do think that credit should be given where credit is due, and what he did here was a good thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Clinton's war provoked strong public opposition(maybe not as strong as "some" others, but those anti-war ARE on the left)

Because it wasn't a made up reason and it didn't kill as many

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Because it wasn't a made up reason and it didn't kill as many

If it was TRULY made up, Bush, Cheney, and Rice would be on trial right now, wouldn't they?  Congress received the same intel and they voted to go to war.  So you measure a war by the number of lives impacted? That's pretty sad.jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If it was TRULY made up, Bush, Cheney, and Rice would be on trial right now, wouldn't they? Congress received the same intel and they voted to go to war. So you measure a war by the number of lives impacted? That's pretty sad.jmo

No, congress got the WHIG spun intel. At that point Bush and co. had already found teh Niger uranium purchase had never happened, but used it to sell the war anyway. The CIA and FBI both told the admin. that they did not have WMD's. and part of how I measure a war is the WHY's and of course the "collateral damage" and what did we accomplish? How do you measure it?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Quinnmae~ This is very well said. Cheers!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2009