Bf and had to switch to formula, need help

my son will be 3 week in 2 days and I have bf since birth. Since last week he started eating every 30-45 mins and would just stay on my breast for hour or hours when Id take him away to put him down hed just cry and cry. As of 4pmyesterday to 1am this morning I couldnt get him away from my breasts without crying. I tried pumping to get more milk and none. So I decided to try and give him formula to see if he was actually really hungry and so be it he was starving and scarfed 3 oz down and went out for 2 hours!!!! so i continued with that through the night. I know nothing about formula feeding and need help! this morning I pumped and mixed 2oz breast milk and 2 oz formula and he ate about 3 oz and is sleeping! am i bad for doing this! i feel funny and guilty but he was hungry and I couldnt give him milk from my breasts, i cried bc he was so upset for so long and hungry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is going thru a growth spurt...Do not give him formula...he is nursing more often to make your body produce more milk...pumping will never be an effective way to get it out...if you start supplementing formula now, your supply will start to drop...PM me if you need some support.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Dont feel bad!!! You do what you have to to feed your baby, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I felt horrible when I stopped bf-ing too, but then realized, he's happy and full.......just curious, have you taken any antihistimines lately? When I did, that totally affected my bm supply. dried me up for the day. While you give him formula, if you'd still like to bf as well, pump. every couple hours just pump. that way it'll help keep supply to mix if you want with the formula. or just to bottle feed with bm. he may just want to use you as a pacifier as well. so dont stress mamma, you're doing a great job!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• No you are not. I understand that. I had trouble getting started with both of my little ones. If you want to continue breastfeeding drink plenty and try some of the Mothers Milk stuff, it really helped a friend. Also the regular pill almost dried me up and and when I had PPD it got really bad at one point and started drying me up.

If not then keep up with the formula, he seems to being doing fine with it.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's ok. It takes practice to BF and patience. You are not horrible for giving your baby food. You can ask your OB about ways to increase your milk supply if you still want to BF. If not just mix the formula according to the directions on the can. Your pediatrician can give you sample cans to try. Me I would consult a lactation expert first. See what can be done there first. Good luck and try BF first for maybe twenty minutes and supplement off with the formula. Drink lots of water too. If you're not hydrated it's harder to make milk. And relax. If you're too tense let down of milk won't occur. Hugs!!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You're not horrible, BUT you do need to NOT supplement if you want to keep BF'ing.

Yes, your baby may act somewhat fuller after formula, and now that you've given your baby some this is going to make it harder to go back, but you need to stop.
    "Acting" hungry is what will stimulate your breasts to make more milk. Your baby is going through a growth spurt, and when my son was having growth spurts he'd be on my breast all night long. Seriously. And after a few days he'd calm down and eat less often again and act satisfied again.

If your baby is having 6-8 wet diapers a day, there is absolutely no reason to use formula.

Co-sleeping saved my sanity. I did it in a recliner or on the floor.

Some of the advice I echo, antihistamines? do steam birth control? get the mini pill not reg pill water intake? 64 oz food intake? eat often! stress? just breathe sleep? co-sleep some Help? kellymom.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• IF you still want to bf, talk to a lactation consultant and ask about a supplementer. My milk supply was low after my 4th child and I had to use one for a few weeks until my supply caught up with his demand. It's a thin "tube" you attach to your nipple when you feed, the other end of the tube is a "bottle" where you put formula in, so your baby is stimulating your milk supply while he's eating, not getting attached to an artificial nipple, getting all of the bmilk he can from you (with all of the antibodies and other good stuff), but still getting the amount of milk he needs from the formula.
    I would recommend breastfeeding with all the flu and stuff that's going around, it will give him much more protection from all the "bugs" - but you have to do what's right for you and your baby.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Talk to a lactation consultant and join the breastfeeding groups here at CafeMom. You'll get a ton of good info to keep you going.

Many of us have successfully breastfed multiple children without ever being able to get any out when we pump. Not getting much milk when you pump has nothing to do with your supply. Your supply is great, you were able to pump 2 oz.

Your baby may not be a good nurser...some babies aren't. If that's the issue then a lactation consultant and work wonders.

If you want to continue BF, you need to stop giving formula and get with a consultant today. Supplementing with decrease your supply.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You're not bad, but know that you don't need to use formula. This is prime growth spurt time. Constant nursing is normal. If you nurse on demand, and change at least 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, there is no supply problem. A few formula feedings probably won't screw you up breastfeeding. I'd suggest (if YOU want to) that you ditch the formula, and just nurse that baby on demand. Yes, it will probably drive you a little crazy for a day or two, as it seems he IS having a growth spurt, but in the long run, it is SO worth it. The more he nurses, the more milk you make, so it will take a day or two to catch up to what he's currently needing, but it's nowhere near impossible. I think, since you only started supplementing yesterday, that this will be fairly easy to turn around, if that is what you want to do. If it IS what you want, I'm happy to offer you advice. If not, just let me know.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• What you are describing is actually normal and most breastfed babies go through it, you do not need to give the baby formula at all. The only way to make sure your body makes enough milk is to continue nursing, nurse the baby when he wants too for as long as the baby wants too. This is temporary and it will get easier, the first weeks are hard and can be confusing.
    If you want to continue breastfeeding i suggest you join the breastfeeding group here on CM for advice and help.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• This happend to me with my to girls ages 2 and 7 months. At about 3 weeks and again at 4 months. They just need more milk and your body will produce it if they keep nursing. I never supplemented formula. It's hard but it gets easier. It could also be that you are not eating enough. From personal experience I have noticed that when I eat better, I produce more milk. I hoped this helped.
    BEast915

Answer by BEast915 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009