Sleep Habits

For the past several weeks DS (2 1/2 yrs old) has been waking up at 3-4 am crying for "Mommy." When I go in, he's not still asleep, as the Dr suggested. The Dr. said around this age they start dreaming more vividly. He doesn't talk about dreams or anything. He's just awake, looking scared, and needing comfort. He usually goes back to sleep after a few minutes of back rubbing, but then continues to wake up every hour or two. I'm exhausted! Does anyone else have experience with this? What did you do? HELP!

JawgaMom1

Asked by JawgaMom1 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you changed anything in the room? Different shadows? If you aren't already, get a nightlight...or they sell gloworms or seahorses that he can keep in bed and turn on himself and they play soft music...he may just be having bad dreams...it's a phase...keep your head up momma
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• He's had nightlights since he was born. He started this before I made one change, which was to put his rocking horse in his room, but took it out after a few days. I was thinking exactly along the same lines as you are. But no, he's still waking up. Thank you for answering!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It is normal for children to have changes in sleep paterns when they reach developmental milestones. Some children are prone to night terrors as well. As long as he does not seem to be terrified, I would comfort him the first time, and then let him cry it out a little bit. He needs to learn to self soothe...this too shall pass. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• That's NOT what I wanted to hear, salex!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! LOL
    In my gut, I think you're probably right, but it is SO not what I wanted to hear.
    Hearing my boy upset is THE worst sound in the world, especially at 3 am.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009