How do I drop one of my LO's hyphenated last names?

My s/o and I got pregnant not too long after we started dating so when I had DD I hyphenated her last name just in case, plus I wasn't sure If I wanted to take his last name if we ever got married. Well, we have been together for awhile now and decided that get married is the right thing to do, plus we just love each other so much.... anyway I want to take his last name and drop my last name From DD's hyphenated last name. How do I go about doing this?

pinkgemini85

Asked by pinkgemini85 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you have to go to your city hall and there's an office there where you go and have to pay some money and fill out paperwork. When my husband and I were going to change our last names to what his biological father's last name is that's wat we were told we had to do. I would just call city hall and ask questions and someone will give you more info.
    angela5954

Answer by angela5954 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If it's on the birth cert and social securty card, you will have to have legal paperwork drawn up to eliminate confusion as she grows up...However, since she is a female and will probably change it one day (marriage) you can just stop using it with the understanding that it may be questioned later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Talk to a lawyer if you want to do it legally. If not just put both names on important documents and tell teachers, doctors, and the like, to only use one name. My DD has two last names to but she only answers to one. When we went to her school's open house i told her teacher she goes by my DH's last name not both names. Ever since she is only called one name.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009