my two year old refuses to eat anything other than chicken nuggets, how can i get him to try new foods?

tabicat83

Asked by tabicat83 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not to sound mean or anything but my son does not get a choice in the matter. It's either eat what the family is eating or else go hungry. He chose once to go hungry and ever since has eaten what I put on his plate, even if he doesn't really care for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Take away the chicken nuggets.
    Put healthy food on the table.

He will eat. Kids don't starve themselves to death - they will eat what they are given when they are hungry enough.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I'w with the PP...do not offer the nuggets...offer what you want him to eat...if he won't eat, then take it away and do not offer anything else...he will learn to eat what is provided.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Like they said... no more chicken nuggets. Put them away and all the other fav's and serve whatever you are having and don't give into other choices. He might not eat his meal but he will eat eventually.... don't offer other snacks... put the uneaten meal away and reheat it when he's ready to eat.... or give other foods that are healthy like veges and dip for a snack (no junk foods like fruit snacks or crackers)
    Make the rule is that they have to have a BITE of everything on his plate to have more of something else... otherwise no seconds of something he likes (or you'll end up in the same rut of filling up on all something he likes and not eating anything else)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You just take them away. I know it can be hard because they'll go on eating strikes, but when they're hungry they'll eat. You started a bad habit by introducing fried foods and a young age and it will take a little while to break the habit.

Offer good food until your little one gets hungry enough to eat them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. My DS would be happy to subsist on nothing but chicken nuggets if I let him. I don't. They are a treat. He gets served what we eat. If he doesn't want to eat, he may have a piece of toast so he doesn't get hungry at 3 am. Those are the choices. Otherwise, I'm the mean Mommy. You'd be surprised at what he's tried so he doesn't have the dreaded toast AGAIN!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.
    We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying nuggets and junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• LOL I have a 13 month old who loves chicken as well! I get the Tyson's or Purdue Shortcuts chicken that are pre-grilled and in the deli section. It may be a healthier option while transitioning him to new foods. Maybe he'll like them? Just a thought. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i have never made my kids eat anything they didn't want to, nor will i. adults don't eat what they don't like why make a child??? anyway, i have a 9 yr old that only eats meat. a 6 yr old that refuses to eat meat. and a 14 yr old that only eats meat and taters. they are healthy and happy. if your kid only wants chicken nuggets right now, give him the healthiest tastiest nuggets you can find until he discovers other things on his own.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2009