Do you honor those who came before you?

I'm astounded by the amount of judgement and ignorance about Halloween, and the idea that others would "honor" death. I am confused, as it has been stated time and again that it is about honoring the lives of family and friends that have passed, and remembering them....and what they taught us while they were alive. Why is this considered wrong? Do you not continue to honor those that have passed, but were significant people in your life while they were alive? Is this considered honoring death, and therefore "evil"?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• our church observed All Saints Sunday yesterday, honoring those who have passed and those who are still doing 'the work of the Lord'. our biblical scripture describes all of the 'saved' as saints, dead or alive.
    i haven't the foggiest idea why honoring those that have gone before, would be considered evil. worshipping them, yes..but honoring their work, their life, their contributions to society and such? hardly.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I definitely honour those who have gone before me, especially those loved ones who have now died. Though I have to confess, I don't necessary equate Halloween with remembering the dead either... it's more of a dress up and grab candy holiday at our house without any real deeper meaning to it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• This world has changed so much! I honor the times that I could spend with the ones that aren't here anymore. Life was wonderful growing up and I miss everything the way it was.... Sitting on the front porch with my great grand mother and hiding in the corn fields. Life was hard , but we had each other.... Yes, I honor our Saints, troops, and my family..... Even Halloween has changed... agree...
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• In my culture, honoring the dead is not done specifically on Halloween, rather Day of the Dead. And no, I have no problems honoring those that have come before me on Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertas).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yep, in the LDS church we're taught to seek out our family history and learn about who came before us. That's why we have the largest genealogy library and search engine in the world.

We don't pick any specific day to do family history though - it's an all-year thing.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is wrong to honor and remember those who have died. I think it is very encouraging to do so.

I don't have any problem with that. But I don't think that most of the people in my neighborhood who have fake coffins in their front yard, grave stones, fake people who are beheaded on top of their roofs, skeletons, etc. decorating the outside of their house are doing that as a sign of respect for their dead. LOL. I think they are being entertained with gruesome things!!!

I am not going to pay tribute to my grandma by putting a fake cancer patient in my front yard. I am going to pay her tribute by talking about her, looking at her paintings and reading the notes she wrote in her Bible.

I personally think most of the mainstream Halloween decorations are not people celebrating Samhain, but just ordinary people delighting in morbidity. JMHO. And they can do that if they want.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Edit: the people in my neighborhood that decorate their lawns are *not* doing that out of respect for their dead.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't have a problem talking about death, I do not fear death and I am not ashamed to talk about death. I don't understand why so many people say our culture doesn't like to talk about death. We talk about and plan for death our entire lives. I celebrated All Saints day at Mass yesterday. I honor and love my ancestors, without them there would be no me.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It is because our culture hates to talk about death, specifically our own death. It is through other cultures infiltrating into American culture that it is changing. In my family we have always celebrated Dia de los Muertos, it is becoming this pop culture sensation and it's some what making death okay. Anyone who has taken the course Death and Dying, can list different concepts in America that prove how much we push death to the side. A good example, aside from the Golden Girls, how many shows are their with an all elderly cast? Go to the store and look at the amount of anti-aging products out there. Also, pharmaceuticals, we have a pill that will fix everything under the sun and if that doesn't help you can nip, tuck, and fill. Hardly anyone will walk around saying "Yup Grandma died today." Nope, we euphamize death with phrases like passed on, went to a better place, or my fave that we tell kids "She's sleeping"
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• see no problem in it at all. :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009