How can I get my 7 month old to sleep through the night?

My baby girl is 7 months and hardly ever sleeps through the night. I put her to bed at 8:30 every night, she sleeps in her crib and if I feed her right before i put her down, she wakes up every three hours to feed now I feed her half an hour before bedtime . I try everything that the parenting books suggest (even the cry-it-out method) with no improvement. The latest she sleeps is til 4 a.m. I also have a 2 year old who gets up at 6, and i need to be up with her also. Is there anything else I can try?
I have to add that she puts herself to sleep and she can't stand sleeping with anyone else.

BEast915

Asked by BEast915 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• less nap time during the day? I slept with my daughter until she was four, I breastfed though. So if she woke up, i would just breastfeed her & she'd go right back to sleep. When i did start making her naps shorter during the day, is when she started waking up less at night. But, every child is different. It sucked waking her up from naps during the day though. Hard thing to do. Its nice & quiet, why go wake up the baby? LOL! But, it did help her sleep longer hours at night.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my son does the same exact thing..ugh..he's almost 7 month. I don't know what else to do either, just wait it out I suppose...GL to the both of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• When she wakes up at night, offer her water from a cup, and put her back down. we did this with our daughter at 6 months. It took 2-3 days with the water, she would fuss a little, but eventually fall asleep again. After the 2-3 days, she was sleeping through the night. Some moms on here might tell you that your daughter wakes because she is hungry, I would say it depends on whether she actually drinks the whole bottle like she is hungry or is it mostly for comfort. You will have to be the judge on that. I think it varies for each child. But you know your daughter better, so just try it and see how it goes.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my son is 8 mts adn wakes up every 4 hrs to eat. he is bf but i pump he drinks 4 oz bottle. my dd was ff and she slept thru the nite at 2 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I also have a 7 month old, he doesn't sleep through the night either. He will sleep from about 9 pm until about 2 am, he will eat and then try to fight his sleep, sometime times it takes up to 2 hours to get him back to sleep. I've tried everything except CIO (I can't stand to hear him cry) If you do figure it out be sure to let me know.

This morning he got up at 4 am and would not go back to sleep. Now it is 10am and he is taking a nap.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Years ago moms would know that a 7 month old baby that wakes to eat every 3 hours is normal. But today's mom reads all of these psycho babble books that do not put the babies needs first and think that it's not normal for a 7 month old to be hungry at night and try to force their babies to sleep through the night before they're ready.

If your baby is falling asleep on her own and only waking because she's hungry then feed her when she's hungry and put her back to bed. This is just part of mothering.

I have a 3 year old that wakes at 7am, an 18 month old that wakes once a night for a feeding and then wakes for the day at 5:30am and I'm pregnant with a baby that's due in 6 weeks. This is just part of being a mother. Eventually your baby will be sleeping through the night and all of this will be behind you, but right now stop trying to push your baby to sleep through the night before she's ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's normal for them to not sleep all night. It's normal for them to wake up and eat (giving them water to make them stop getting up when hungry could lead to malnutrition!!) It's normal for them to wake up at wee hours and not want to go back to bed.

She'll stop waking up when he's ready, which could be as late as when he's 2 years old.

Trying to force it is not going to help and can actually make them develop insecure attachments to their parents.

Now, having said that.. What is the room temperature? Is she waking because she is cold, maybe? After I put my son in a sleep-suit he started waking up only once at night and sleeps 10 hours. And, I put drapes and I put a fan in there for white noise. I also nurse him to sleep at night and in the middle of the night, otherwise for his 2 short naps he goes down drowsy but awake and sleeps fine.

How long are her naps?? My son naps 2 1/2 hours total.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• drinkingSorry hun I don't have any advice. My 8th month old just started sleeping through the night this past week and I tried EVERYTHING to get her to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. Nothing worked.. then one night she slept all night long and has ever since. Some times you have to wait it out. with my twins they were a year and half old before they slept through the night.. my other daughters were at least a year old.. I know some mothers have babies that sleep all night from day one or very early on.. most of us are not that lucky.. Just keep telling yourself "this too shall pass" then go get a big cup of coffee..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2009