• In the Spotlight:

Preemie dealing with dry lips

The last week or so my son's been dealing with dry lips. He's eating well as usual, and having MASSIVE urine diapers as well-- just dry lips. I've been using Lanolin-based nipple oil I've been using for my cracked nipples, at it seems to work a bit, but I'm still a bit worried. Any solutions? He actually goes to the doctor tomorrow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Burt's Bees makes a lip balm for infants. It works great and is very gentle. I bought it at Target, but any place with a good selection of Burt's Bees baby products will have it.

Also, the company that makes Butt Paste also makes an infant lip balm (also at Target). It's all natural and works well too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• mine were not preemies but i would give mine a few drops of water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You can put a little vasaline on them, and just check with the pediatrician tomorrow!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• vaseline is pure with no additives and i think that would be the best thing. it is very concentrated too
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The Vaseline and Burts Bees are good suggestions. I've put the pure lanolin on my own lips and it's helped. Have you tried putting a couple of drops of breast milk (assuming your nursing)? That might work as well. A lot of people swear by that for diaper rash. It would certainly be a free solution :) How little is your preemie?
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 9:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My daughter was a premiee as well and we went through that. I just used chapstick. I used it in the NICU and at home!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2009