Stress test on baby

I am having a stress test done on my baby today. I have alot of fluid more than what i should and my whole body is staying swollen. I know this sounds kinda bad, but deep down i hope he is under stress this way they will just take him. I am almost 38 weeks and i feel awful. Has anyone else had this done or felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had to have stress tests done about once a week if I remember right- I had low fluid levels and stared having contractions around 36/37 weeks. Every time I went in I hoped my doctor would say, we're going to induce you tomorrow, be at the hospital at this time. I didn't swell up, but I was feeling really sick from the contractions, and dd was running out of room and had by then dropped to zero station and was really ready to come. They did finally induce between 37 and 38 weeks. It's okay to feel this way at this point- everything is ready to go and the waiting is horrible, especially if you don't feel good. Good luck with the tests today.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Are they doing a "stress" test or a "non stress test?" Are you going to the hospital for it or will it be done at your doctor's office? There's quite a bit of difference between the two. For a stress test, you go to the L&D ward. They put you on monitors and give you a tiny amount of pitocin, just enough to make your uterus contract. Then they watch how baby responds to contractions. The major concern (and reason you do it at the hospital) is that if your body is ready for labor, even that small amount of pit can cause you to go into labor.
    A non stress test is done at the Dr's office. They put you in a big comfy chair, strap on the monitors, and give you a clicker. You're supposed to press the button every time you feel baby kick. Usually they'll give you some juice or something to wake baby up and get him/her moving. :-)
    Both look at how responsive baby is under different circumstances.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009