c-section and support belt

I'm having a planned c-section in a few weeks and my doctor mentioned that some women use a support belt after the surgery. I would like to do some research on this belt (benefits/drawbacks) but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. I'd love to hear from women who have used one. What are your thoughts? did you find the belt to be helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used a support belt during my third pregnancy it helped keep my tummy more up and eased my back pain at the same time. I had three sections with one bad labor first. After a section you're encouraged to keep a pillow on your tummy/abdomen to help ease that from too much ache when sneezing or laughing, coughing. Especially after my first section when I had a tough labor before it, keeping up with using a pillow against me was a great help after I was finally able to leave the hospital.

Maybe that's what your ob is talking about? Congratulations and Best Wishes!!!!!!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I had one. It has two bands and velcro to adjust whichever way feels most comfortable. It keep constant pressure on your incision so if you cough it doesn't hurt as much. You can stand up straighter and center you weight closer to your spine.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I bought a support band to use after my c-section, but never used it because it hurt too much. It's supposed to sit right over your scar, and I wonder how anyone could think that's comfortable.But you might be able to use it. However I did have one for the pregnancy, a different one, and it really helped me at the end, when my belly got lower. My daughter seemed to kick more though when I had it on. Like she was wondering what that tightness was :-)
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The hospital gave me one after my c-section. It was the best thing ever! It kept me from feeling like my insides were going to fall out of my va-jayjay.
    Makenseysmom

Answer by Makenseysmom at 8:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009