What do you do?

What can you do to help your child to not rush through school work at school and during homework at home. Two of her teachers have said she is in too much of a hurry to complete her work she is sloppy and doesn't get the right answers. She will also not bring it home and it will show up missing on the powerschool grade site. That shows me it could be deliberate. We have talked to her about this and to slow down and do a good job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in

• My child is 11 and is a girl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Sounds like my daughter at that age. Clean up her diet (take out all artifical everything) and have her start taking fish oil or hemp oil. Her attention will improve gradually over the next couple of months.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i teach, when she finishes she should raise her hand and the teacher should come over with a BIG eraser and erase anything wrong or too messy, eventually she will get pissed enough to slow down and do it correctly (or her best) the first time. do the same with her homework, before this starts talk about what is acceptable and what is below that level.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You also ask the teacher to send home papers for you to sign. I do that with some of my kids who "lose" graded papers so their parents don't see them. The parents sign it and the child brings it back to me so I know the parent saw it. Then she can't hide them from you.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• As a child who had messy handwriting and that had to do assignments over. Please make sure that she is capable of neat handwriting. I was not, at that age. I have compromsied manual dexterity due to a severe cerebral concussion I had as a toddler. I am 35 and just now can write neatly and understand what I need to do to make things neat. For instance, I cannot write to the end of a page, especially if I am writing on a notebook or in a workbook. I have to leave the last two inches empty. My pencils have to be razor sharp. I still do not have one distinctive handwriting, but several on one page at times. Teachers expect to that girls have better handwriting than boys and that's not always the case. My fourth grade year was miserable, even though I was trying my best. Which is why I offer this advice, just to make sure she's on track developmentally with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

Next question in
How are you breakfasr in the mor.?

Next question overall (Health)
Help, deformed