What is the best way to repel lice?

My DD came home last night and told me her dads gf,s DD had head lice. Then she tells me they wore each others witch hats for Halloween. I am so pissed at them for allowing that. Anyway I have checked her hair and do not see anything. I went out and bought tea tree oil and put it in our shampoo bottles.

The kids use Suave kids shampoo, the coconut scented one. I read that lice do not like coconut scents. Is that true? Also what else repels them?

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have always been told that black people don't get lice because of the hair grease they use, lice don't like it..... maybe give her corn rows and grease them up?
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's not that the lice doesn't like it, they just can't attach to greasy hair... with that said, you don't need to grease your daughters hair just keep a close check on the hair and keep her away from the other girl.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 11:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• That is impossible,to keep her away. My DD goes to her dads every other weekend and he lives with his gf, so every other weekend she is around this girl.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• that shampoo is the right kind to use but its not the scent its a certain chemical in it...some other scents of suave have it as well but i cant for the life of me remember what that chemical is.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I comb through my kids hair with veg. oil then we wash it twice. It gets the bugs and eggs out.
    emariec

Answer by emariec at 2:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oil of Oregano. Cures everything.
    Anonymous

• just be sure after you treat her hair that you also clean your house very well. wash all the sheets and vaccum a lot and rewash all of her clothes. anywhere they could have gone just clean clean clean and try to get your ex to do the same after they treat the other girl
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 4:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Hair products like hairspray, mousse, etc when you fix her hair. If you have that stuff in, the lice and eggs can't stick. Put hairspray in before she leaves and ask that they not bathe her for the weekend? Or tell her to put hairspray in when she's done brushing her hair the mornings she's there. Gel, mousse, whatever you can put in it. Also, just wash her with lice shampoo when she gets back. She can't go long untreated (the other girl).
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2009