Is there a reason to be concerned?

I watch a little girl who will be 6 months old next week. She still does not roll over, makes no attempt to sit (not even assisted), no attempts to hold her own bottle, no attempts to do the army crawl thing. Basically she doesnt really do anything. My daughter has always been more advanced than kids her age, so I dont know what is normal and when to be concerned. The mom works so much, I see her kids more than she does. I work with the little girl, but she is just not interested at all. What is the "normal" age range for the things I mentioned? Is there cause for concern here?

HaydensMommy007

Asked by HaydensMommy007 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Holding a bottle isn't a milestone, so don't worry about that one. Some kids never do.

Rolling and being able to sit up leaning against something should be at least close to being done now, I think.

Crawling...some kids never crawl so I wouldn't worry about that one too much either.

I would think if there was a problem the mom would know about it from taking the baby to her well visits. Has nothing been mentioned?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The child hasnt been to a well visit since she was 2 months old
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think there is reason to be concerned. You can talk to the mom and suggest that the baby be evaluated. If she has delays I think all children up to age 3 can get free occupational, physical, and speech therapy. The earlier she gets help the better.

You are a very caring person to look out for her needs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The mom can sign a release so you can take the baby to the doctor if that is a possibility for you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't be to concerned just yet about her. By eight months there would be some definite concern. Just work with her as much as you can. What is concerning is that her Mother has not bothered to take her in since 2 months. That needs to be addressed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't be concerned it's not your child and sadly little can be done other than informing parents that you are concerned.

I watched a girl like the 6 mo old only she was 10 mo.’s old, she didn't hold her bottles, roll over and could barely sit up. Her family nicknamed her Lump, this little girl all of a sudden in a two week period started moving right before her first birthday. I have never seen a child so inactive go from nothing to walking. I can honestly say babies move at their own pace.

Now on the flip side; I also watched a 4 year old who could not remember anything, her mom didn't work with her and she was very slow. I immediately recognized there was something wrong but mom didn't want to do anything about it. After they left I found out mom did drugs while pregnant. Sad but little I could have done; mom had her taken away because she was still doing drugs and grandma has her.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My son never held his own bottle and my mom watches a perfectly healthy 9 month old that just started crawling. I guess if the baby is unresponsive or lethargic maybe - you could bring it up to the mom.. maybe that will also get her to the well checks too!?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• As a pediatric occupational therapist, I have worked with many children with developmental delays. At 6 months, the TYPICAL child should:
    1. roll in all directions-usually in a log roll type fashion
    2. bring both hands to the mouth-could apply to her not holding a bottle. Does she bring anything to her mouth? maybe there isn't a motivation to hold a bottle if she knows someone else will do it for her. (should bring both feet to the mouth too, although doesn't help in holding a bottle)
    3. should sit unsupported momentarily somewhere between 5-6 months. Can use arms to prop forward. By somewhere in the 5-10 month range she should be able to sit alone, steadily, enough to play with a toy.
    4. somewhere from 6-11 mos. she should be able to get into a sitting position from her belly
    5. somewhere from 5-10 mos she should be standing while holding onto furniture

I know that these are some pretty wide ranges...cont
    Anonymous

• cont.
    these are some pretty wide ranges, but she should be somewhere in the vicinity of them. The belly crawl (technical term is "creeping") thing is typically done around 7 months, but we all know some kids just take longer, some start sooner..when they darn well get ready to!
    Some cultures tend to baby their babies a bit longer than we do. A lot of the kids I've worked with tend to just take off when given the opportunities to practice the motor skills needed rather than being held all the time.
    Finally, not to be a complete bitch after stating all this sound information, but NO healthcare is free. Healthcare being viewed as "free" is a misnomer. WE ALL pay for it with that pesky little thing called taxes.
    Anonymous

• My son is slmost 10 months and is not crawling, close but not yet. He hardly rolled over at 6 months and was not sitting up at 6 months. My doctor told me that he would those things that he would do them when he was ready. I was concerned but now he rolls all over and scoots on his butt. I am sure he will crawl soon. He is just a little slower. And the same goes for the little girl you know. Jusr keep working and i'm sure she will get it as mine did.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009