Prevacid users...

My son has been taking Zantac for GERD and now that is past the one year mark, we are trying Prevacid. We are making the change since his symptoms seem worse with solid foods, and the Zantac just isn't helping. Those who have children who HAVE USED Prevacid - how quickly did you notice an improvement? Side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my children were reflux babies. Be VERY CAREFUL with the prevacid.. Talk to your pediatrician before making the switch. working in health care there can be complications like Overdosing, My youngest takes a 1/4 tablet of prevacid 2x a day per her Md. She has reacted very well to the medication and her reflux is almost completely cleared (minus daddy rough housing with her right after she eats =) ) i am a firm believer that if the child needs the medication please by all means use it but with the proper knowledge. =) Hope this helps.

SweetPea020403

Answer by SweetPea020403 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My son did very well with Prevacid, we just changed about 6 months ago to Pepcid ac chewables because he has horrible reflux. We were using 15mg of prevacid once a day, then he would still vomit. Then, we went up to 30mg~ that worked but was wikked expensive. (our ins wasn't covering it) So, dr recommended the Pepcid. We are happy with it.
    Leeshamak

Answer by Leeshamak at 1:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Our pediatric gastrointerologist put the twins on half a tablet of prevacid daily when they were about 6 mos old. That plus a hypoallergenic/predigested formula made a world of difference! I was able to take one off the prevacid by 9 mos and the other at a year (although I suspect he maybe still has a bit of reflux and would benefit from an OTC med).
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009