Should i get my child vaccined with the H1N1 flu shot???

Went go flu shots today and the nurse told me i should the H1N1 vaccine too for my little one bc children under 4 are being hit hard with it. I dont know a lot about it and what i do hear about it seems to be bad.... So what is best for my baby? she 3 years old.

hgmalssbm

Asked by hgmalssbm at 12:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

• I am just as confused as you are.

Is it worth it I wonder, so little time was invested in being sure it is safe. Is it safe??? I am with you on this one.

I am only going to do it if I HAVE too and my pediatrician can assure to me that it is safe, they already have the flu shot, and I am scared of the H1N1 vacine, what if a year from now, more things happen.

I will pray my kids don't get it, teach them to be cleaner and pray I choose the right thing!!
    As for you do what you believe is right, you know in your heart. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Does she have asthma or is high risk? If yes, then get it. If not, then don't and just use regular flu season care. Washing hands often, antibacterial, etc. JMO.
    Anonymous

• I got my two girls 22 months and 4 years done 4 days ago. They are fine, a bit sniffy just like with the regular flu shot. I wanted it done so that I knew they were protected as much as I could. My youngest seems more susceptible to upper respiratory illnesses, and my oldest just started preschool and has been home with me until now. Alsothe H1N1 was created the same way all flu shots are, I haven't found there to be any more risk with it. I hope that helps you make your decision.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I feel very uneasy giving my DD the H1N1 flu shot.....there are risks associated with any vaccine....my grandmother almost died from taking the seasonal flu shot 15 years ago.....I feel that the H1N1 vaccine was rushed onto the market. Look up both mainstream info and alternative group sites and see what they are saying in regards to the vaccine to help you make the decision that is right for your family. In Canada, they say the one third of the population will get it, and from that amount only a SMALL percentage will be critically ill and should that happen there are anitviral medication available at the hospital to be taken within 48 hrs. For most people, the reports say they will be fine, similar to regular flu. Do your own research and discuss with your pediatrician. Good luck....not an easy decision is it !
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 12:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• H1N1 Flu vax Package Insert Info. from Novartis: Oct. 21,
    "Specific levels of...antibody post- (after) vaccination with inactivated influenza virus vaccine have NOT been correlated with protection from influenza illness. In some human studies, antibody titer of ≥1:40 have been associated with protection from influenza illness in up to 50% of subjects. "

ref: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM112904.pdf

(++++ What this says, in PLAIN language, is that developing an H1N1 antibody after getting an H1N1 vaccination has NO correlation with not getting sick. And that a sizable antibody level (i.e. 1:40 or greater) only protects UP TO 50% of people from getting the flu.-Dr.S. Tenpenny.) http://drtenpenny.com/default.aspx
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thank you all for your input it helped a lot to get others opinion on this. Thanks very much.
    hgmalssbm

Answer by hgmalssbm at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009