what can i do for my son?

My son is about a week old. To make a long story short. I am breast feeding. My milk supply was coming in really good. However, I was told by a nurse I don't need to pump as much. it turns out it slowed my milk supply way down, to make matters worse. I guess there's a history of my husband family to have a milk allergy. We have been short on my milk supply so we've had to give him formula and it's soy. However, he's spitting that up? any suggestions? how to get my milk going again besides. Plently of fluids and pumping? and if some babies can't handle soy? I'm a little worried at this point. please any advice would be most helpful?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 12:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All righty, I see you've got some good advice. So, I'll just add to it rather than repeating. IF supplementing is necessary, consider an SNS. Your baby eats from a spaghetti looking tube that's attacked to your breast, and is nursing while being supplemented. You can, of course, put breastmilk in it. This is going to put ALL of his sucking at the breast, and once you're not doing formula, and noticing that he's taking only breastmilk, you KNOW your supply is good. But I think you're doing a great job. Stopping all pumping will cause a temporary dip in supply, but if you just keep nursing without using formula, it picks back up within a day or two. And he gets milk every time he nurses. Breasts are never 100% empty.So, he'll nurse more frequently for a few days, but this is good news. He's building your supply.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Try to pump at around the same time each day. every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. your milk flow should pick up with regularity
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Would you be interested in seeing a lactation consultant?
    Try lalecheleague.com for questions about BF
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i been exclusevely pumping for 8mts. drink lots of liquid 64 oz daily. oatmeal one bowl a day or snack on cookies. mothers milk tea. pump every 2 hrs for 15 mts. like pp said LLL and a LC are the ebst people to help you
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• kellymom.com has tons of advice for getting/keeping your supply up. drink to your thirst. pump and nurse and pump and nurse and DON'T GIVE UP! La Leche League and Lactation Consultants are also excellent resources. Remember pumping will never give you as much milk as nursing will, but it is still good to keep the flow going. Hang in there!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Pump before you nurse a couple of times a day. The pump is much less efficient than your baby...even if you can't get any more milk out with the pump, baby can so let the pump get as much out as possible and let baby do the rest. This will completely empty your breast and help trigger a greater demand. It'll take 3-4 days for your body to catch up with what you're demanding from it...so don't give up! Also, stop supplementing with soy...or anything. Your baby will want to nurse a lot more often (because he won't be satisfied) but the truth is your boobs are constantly producing milk so baby will get some at each feeding and baby is the absolute best way to increase your supply. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• there is no reason to give soy unless u actually see symptoms of milk allergy. the dumb nurse at the hospital when i had my son gave him soy instead of milk based cuz she just didnt read the label and it made him puke. but he has done fine on milk based ever since. i would say keep pumping and nursing and supplement with milk based formula or as much pumped breastmilk as u can
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Talk to a lactation consultant, there professionals in that area!!!! Good luck sweetie
    NewMomToBe84

Answer by NewMomToBe84 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thanks everyone! all your advice really helped! things are going alot better.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2009