Unruly 2 yr. old kicked off plane...do you agree or disagree with airline crew?

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A spokesman for Southwest Airlines says the carrier has apologized to a mother who was kicked off a plane along with her UNRULY 2-year-old earlier this week.

Spokesman Chris Mainz said the airline called Pamela Root on Friday to apologize. He says Root also will receive a refund and a $300 travel voucher.

The crew bounced Root and her son Adam off the San Jose-bound flight because PASSANGERS COULD NOT HEAR preflight safety announcements.

Root says she was confident Adam's SCREAMS of "Go! Plane! Go!" and "I want Daddy!" would subside after the plane took off Monday in Amarillo, Texas.

The 38-year-old mom said she hoped to be compensated for the portable crib and diapers she had to buy for the extra night away from home.

ALSO, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IF YOU WERE A PASSANGER ON THAT PLANE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the crew/airline. Children should not be allowed to be a problem, especially in situations like this. This should be a wake up call for this mother to learn she needs to control her rowdy child.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 5:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• agree with the crew. Airlines are private companies, they are free to do as they wish. Their guidelines state they have the right. They refunded her flight, she got to her destination. She received a refund AND a travel voucher. I think that more than covers her portable crib and diapers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I also agree with the crew/airline. The child was interfereing with the passengers ability to hear announcements that could save their lives in an emergency.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't understand why very young children are ever taken on planes in the first place. While I realize that sometimes people have to travel long distances, no one has the right to inconvenience anyone else. The other passengers paid for their tickets too and shouldn't have to hear a screaming two year old. They weren't removed from the plane for the same reason as the child who was just talking, he was causing a disruption. I'm amazed they refunded her ticket and gave a travel voucher. I don't think she is entitled to more reimbursement like she is wanting.
    Anonymous

• I guess it just depends on how they handled it. If they just said get off without warning, then I disagree. But if the spoke with mom and give her time to talk to child and child was screaming and making a scene, then they needed to protect the other passangers.
    Anonymous

• Oh I think they had to do it, but I can feel the Mothers pain, you never know what a 2 year old is going to do, so I bet she was mortified!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Did any of the other passengers or crew think to help the mom? Sometimes just a new voice, or someone different to talk can calm a child. A show of a little support can calm a mother's nerves, and a calmer mom often translates to a calmer child. If I were a passenger on the plane, I would have offered a few encouraging words and a smile for the mom. I might have tried to talk to or distract the child.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I agree with the crew. Better one pissed off mommy, (who was well-compensated for her troubles) than a plane full of pissed-off passengers.

This holds true for movie theaters and restaurants too. A fussy child, quickly calmed, is fine. A screaming child who can't be quieted is not.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Did any of the other passengers or crew think to help the mom?

Not many mothers, including myself, would take too kindly to a stranger trying to tell my child what to do.
    MissG9

Answer by MissG9 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Absolutely agree with the crew and the airlines
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009